return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Brumate or not to brumate? that is the ?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Corn Snakes ]

Posted by: John Q at Sat Aug 26 10:19:55 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by John Q ]  

This has come up before and I have my opinion based on my experience but I'm interested in hearing from others.
As far as your BP's. They produced so you obviously did something that caused them to cycle you probably just were not aware of it, not intentional. BP's may cycle in a rack without adjusting the temps. They only need a 10 degree evening drop. This can happen naturally in your house. As well as shorter daylight hours. Others have reported the same results you got, cycling with temp drops just because their house temps dropped in the evening.
As far as colubrids, I say brumate. I live in an area of So. Cal. that is near the beach and I'm in a canyon. I use my garage which drops down into the 40's and even lower. Just south of me, only a few miles, the temps are normally 10-15 degrees warmer. I have been able to breed ruthveni and greeri when breeders just south of me got infertile eggs or no eggs. Both species have been known to require lower brumating temps.
I have noticed that on years when the temps are cooler, more rain, cooler temps into spring, I have produced more fertile eggs. This is also true of the local wildlife. This last spring and winter was not very wet nor was it cold. Myself and some other breeders in the area did not do so well. Not much to speak of as far as snakes that I have seen on hikes, in my front yard, DOR, etc. The previous year we had record rains, a longer, cooler winter, and I did much better. Also, many more snakes that I removed from my front yard and found on hikes.
Based on my observations of the local wildlife and breeding results of my colubrids, I say brumate.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Major breakthrough! - ReptilesRampant, Fri Aug 25 22:46:01 2006
<< Previous topic:  a few more pictures - draybar, Fri Aug 25 18:44:45 2006