return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

First time breeding, input welcome...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: ChrisGilbert at Sun Sep 10 14:36:29 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ChrisGilbert ]  

This year I will be attempting to breed my 66% het Bloods, this will be my first attempt at breeding boa constrictors (prior experience with rough scaled sand boas).

A little background info on the animals and their setup. Both were born in 2004. The female is about 6 ft (exact measure will be taken later today, along with lb. weight). The male is slightly over 4 ft. and about an inch and a half wide. Length and weight to
be taken today. Both are currently housed in separate Boaphile 421D with florescent lights set on a 12hr. timer. Heat is provided by single width flexwatt and controlled by herpstat digital proportional thermostats. Belly heat is set to 92 degrees (probe placed on top of heat, under substrate). The gradient moves down to 78-82 during the day, with a drop to 74-78 at night (belly heat kept constant). They are kept on paper towels.

This is my plan:
Both the female and male will be kept at 92 belly heat with a gradient to 78-82 for right now. The female will be fed an x-large rat each week (today and two more sundays to finish off the month). The male will be fed a medium rat each week. The last Sunday in September will be their last meal. After they have both cleared their systems following their last meal, the male's heat will be turned down to 82 degrees. So his entire cage will range 82-78 during the day and 82-75 during the night.
Night time low may be below 75 if it is cold out. However his belly heat will be at 82. He can stay warm that way.

The female will have her temp dropped to 87 belly, with the same cool temps as the male. I will leave them at this temperature through October. October 29th I will offer the female a medium rat. I will see if she takes it. The male will then be introduced the 31st. If the female ate, and she is still basking to digest I will wait till November 2nd. I will keep a close eye on them at first. To make sure that the female does not respond negatively to the male's presence. Or vise versa. The female's cage (where they are) will be kept at this slightly lower temperature gradient through till Thanksgiving. At this time observations on activity will be made, and if the pair seems to have concluded breeding activity, and the female is showing promising signs the temperature will be raised by 2 degrees a week. This will continue until the belly heat is back to 92 degrees. The pair will remain together during this time and the entire season, unless the female gets restless and stressed by the male. If he seems to be bothering her he will be removed. As long as both are content, and or continue breeding they will remain together to ensure success.

The boas will be kept at my parent's house in Upper St. Clair, Pittsburgh, PA. So you know the seasonal climate there (if it matters). The house is kept at 70 degrees year round, but does experience slight drops during cold nights and winter months.

Should I do anything with the lights on the cages? I was considering moving the cages near a window and allowing them to receive a natural photoperiod vs. using the lights in the cages.

Any critique to my plan, added information, anything is welcome. I am trying to learn here and want to do everything I can to make it a success.

The information above has been put together thanks to books, videos, and the help of many breeders. Thank you everyone who has helped so far.

Back then:

Thank you all, and thanks to the Burkes who started this for me in July '04!

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Quick question - heathn, Sun Sep 10 16:09:56 2006
<< Previous topic:  feeding problem - raisnok, Sun Sep 10 12:28:22 2006