return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I assumed the snake was already dead./np

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: chrish at Mon Sep 18 00:06:52 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

>>The fact that you inquired about a liver biopsy implies that you have a very sick snake. Having had a very sick snake, and seen inside a few snakes, I am going to share my experience. I am not a veterinarian. You must make your own decisions.
>>
>>Where is the Liver?
>>The liver is located behind the heart. It is elongate and about 15% to 20% as long as the snake itself. It fills a good part of the body cavity when there is no food in the snake. It looks like what it is - liver.
>>
>>Where is the Heart?
>>You should be able to externally locate the heart visually by looking at the ventral scales about 1/4 of the way down the snakes belly. At the right angle, light reflecting off of the ventrals will allow you to see the heart beating. It helps to have the snake in a vertical position, head down.
>>
>>About Liver Biopsy
>>To biopsy the liver, one must not hit any major blood vessels, so stay as far away from the heart as possible. An incision, rather than simply inserting a syringe, might allow visual confirmation. It might be safer to get the biopsy from the distal end of the liver, as there it should be less likely to hit any blood vessels.
>>
>>Anesthesia
>>While minor surgery may be well tolerated by some snakes, they do feel pain. Having a piece of liver cut out will hurt. Most vets would recommend anesthesia to reduce shock and trauma. One doesn't want the snake to suddenly decide its time to make trouble while there's a scalpel inside him. Nevertheless, anesthesia poses risks of its own. A certain percentage of anesthetized snakes have complications and do not survive. Its a calculated risk.
>>
>>Is It Worth It?
>>Your snakes life is in your hands. Like it or not, you must weigh the risks and benefits. A biopsy may enable you to save your snakes life, or make a better informed decision about euthanasia, accomplish nothing, or kill him outright. At some point you may decide to let nature take its course, as long as the snake is not suffering.
>>
>>You have a tough row to hoe. I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>John DeMelas
>>-----
>>I am so not lesdysxic!
>>
>>0.1 Creamsicle Cornsake "Yolanda"
>>1.0 Bairds Ratsnake "Steely Dan"
>>0.1 Desert Kingsnake "FATTY"
>>0.1 Black Rat (WV Rescue) "Roberta"
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I assumed the snake was already dead./np - Rivets55, Mon Sep 18 10:15:41 2006

<< Previous Message:  Locate a Liver - Rivets55, Sat Sep 16 14:06:23 2006