return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Questions Regarding An Enclosure

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: rainbowsrus at Tue Sep 19 09:54:39 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rainbowsrus ]  

In general boas do like to sit for extended periods. Very much so if they are well fed. Are you sure he does not come out and cruise around when you are sleeping? They are mostly nucturnal. Check your temps, maybe it's just sooooo comfy in the hide. Ambient temps in the low 80's? Where is his hot spot? Under the hide? Should be low 90's.

Even if he dose not move around much, limiting him to a much smaller enclosure IMO would be wrong. Basic rule of thumb is one square foot of floor per foot of snake. So your typical 8 foot boa does just fine in a 2'X 4' enclosure.

>>I have a Columbian Red Tail that is EXTREMELY shy. He lives in a beautiful 75 gallon tank with nice Repti-Bark substrate, a couple branches to climb on and a rock hide. The problem is, he won't come out of the rock hide... ever. If I want to feed him, I have to either dangle a rat in front of the opening or remove the rock den.
>>
>>SO here are my questions...
>>
>>Is there any way to break him of this? He's about 3 years old.
>>
>>If there isn't any way to get him to be more active, is that healthy?
>>
>>If it's ok that he's not active and it's ok that he's shy, can I remove him from the tank and keep him in something smaller? I'd like to get another snake but don't have room for another enclosure.
>>
>>(By something smaller, I mean something that is the same size as the rock den he won't come out of. Like a rubbermaid bin.)
>>
>>I feel like there's no reason to keep him in something so huge if he won't use it.
>>-----
>>George
>>1.0.0. Albino Burmese Python (Tyranus)
>>1.0.0. Columbian Red Tail Boa (Madmartigan)
-----
Thanks,

Dave Colling

www.rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

0.1 Wife (WC)
0.2 kids (CBB, selectively bred from good stock)

LOL, to many snakes to list, last count:
13.26 BRB
11.16 BCI
And those are only the breeders

lots.lots.lots feeder mice and rats

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Questions Regarding An Enclosure - GDeHavenIV, Tue Sep 19 08:39:25 2006