return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Newborn Black Rats

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: snakeking157 at Thu Sep 21 21:19:47 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by snakeking157 ]  

Hi, new here but wanted to share my experience. 2 months ago my neighbor called me and said he found some eggs in his mulch pile. I went and saw the eggs and new they were snake eggs but not sure what kind. Every thing I found pointed to black rats. I have an incubator that I bought for a python I was led to believe was pregnant.
Anyway, there was a big black snake killed in the road less than 100 yards from their house. I assumed it was the mother because they never saw her.
2 Days ago the first of five eggs opened and the next morning it came out completely. Beautiful black rat snake. I was lucky enough to get the whole thing on video. The other 4 eggs are open now and I have the camera monitoring them waiting for them to come out.
Has anyone ever raised a black rat from birth for a pet? He is very snappy and high strung and I would like to keep at least one for a pet. I have had a lot of snakes from corns to boas and pythons but never a black snake. I just wonder if constant handling will settle him down. The others I plan to raise to a decent size and then release them. We have a lot of hawks, Owls and foxes here so I know the babies won't last long.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Newborn Black Rats - MikeinOKC, Fri Sep 22 07:28:10 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Newborn Black Rats - duffy, Fri Sep 22 11:06:55 2006