return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Alligator . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Paradigm genetics...thoughts on theory?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: ChrisGilbert at Fri Sep 22 16:41:22 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ChrisGilbert ]  

Here is an email I just sent to Mike. Let me know what you think of this theory. There is no proof to it, but from what I have gained it makes sense. I would have rewritten it, but I'm really busy, so enjoy:

Mike,
I'm sure you know me for throwing out random theories early, but it really helps me to understand things.

What if Sharp and Caramel are on the same allele?

Because from your breeding:
Sharp X Paradigm (f1: Sharp X Caramel)
you got Sharp and Paradigm, correct?

If the Paradigm was truely DH, shouldn't you also get:
WT het Sharp, and WT het Caramel?
That is to say, you are missing wild type phenotype from your offspring.

If the Caramel and Sharp are on the same allele:
breeding a Paradigm to Sharp will give you all homozygous animals.
Depending which allele they recieved from the sire, they would be Sharp or Paradigm.
Since the only allele they could get from the dam was Sharp.

So the Paradigm is a homozygous animal. If this theory works.
Now to explain the phenotype of Paradigms...

They are basically a combination of Sharp and Caramel, some aspects of each create the morph.
If the two mutations are on the same allele.
Like a red X white flower makes pink.

This is the only theory I can come up with to explain F1 Paradigms, and a FULL litter of them.

Best regards,
Chris

PS: I am posting this email on KS to see what others think of it.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Well Chris - giantkeeper, Fri Sep 22 16:47:23 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Paradigm genetics...thoughts on theory? - vcaruso15, Fri Sep 22 17:43:40 2006
>> Next Message:  From reading... - Psycodelic, Fri Sep 22 17:44:22 2006
>> Next Message:  wonderful world of multiple alleles - Paul Hollander, Fri Sep 22 18:05:51 2006
>> Next Message:  gonna disagree and agree... read........ - joshhutto, Sat Sep 23 01:07:34 2006