return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My theory on the Paradigm Boas:

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Sat Sep 23 10:36:35 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

My theory on the Paradigm Boas:

First off, my opinions are simple. Just like me. I am a simply man without advanced education but a bucket of common sense knowing the basics of genetics. I figure stuff out. I have figured out a lot of stuff. I am observant and logical. However, I must confess when many terms are used, that are scientific terms, my eyes start to glaze over and I get lost. Everything becomes a blur. It would be nice once in a while, if those who do have more advanced education could put more of what they write into "simple" terms for a simpleton like me. Instead of writing information for a symposium on genetics for geneticists, how about trying to teach these practical truths to a regular guy like me. That being said, here is what a simple man like myself thinks is going on here.

Many will remember that I am the whacko who thinks that het for Albino Boas can be identified by certain markers present to varying degrees in young hets. This particular theory has met with varying degrees of acceptance in the Boa world. Well, I have a number of Sharp hets and I have observed the exact same bright eyes in them that I observe in Kahl bloodline hets. I only have one Caramel animal and some hets that he produced this year. My Caramel hets seem to also have this slightly bright eye thing going as well. Interesting huh? Technically, I think if the Kahl Albino trait or the Sharp Albino trait or the Caramel Hypo trait can be identified in their heterozygous form, they should more accurately be identified as incomplete dominant traits vs. simple recessive. I know that is hard to swallow after "knowing" that Albinos are simple recessive, but I think that likely would be more accurate. That point really is irrelevant to the specific discussion here though. What label is placed on them is not as important as what has happened here with the Paradigm Boas.

I believe that the Caramel Hypo gene and the Sharp gene are completely separate genes and not the same gene at all. The notion that a Tyrosinase positive and a Tyrosinase negative gene could be the exact same gene seems like a pipe dream to me. Aren’t these two completely different chemically? I’m out of my comfort zone with that question and I am making my own eyes glaze over now. These are two completely different non-complimentary traits. I believe this must be just wishful thinking. When these two separate genes are present in one animal, the normal production of black pigmentation is interrupted to such an extent so as to alter the appearance or production of normal melanin in the animals we now know as Paradigm Boas. It's pretty simple really and does not require the believing in miracles that I think is required to think that the VPI T-Positive gene and the Sharp Albino gene are the exact same gene. This is going to sound like a simpleton again but there are so many genes that control millions of characteristics, that the possibility of these two being the exact same gene and causing completely different outcomes just doesn't make logical sense to my limited mind anyhow. But then I am a simple man.

I think the Caramel hets carrying only one Caramel gene cause a change that whether we can actually observe it or not is very real. This change alters to some tiny extent the production of black pigmentation. I also believe the exact same thing is true with the Sharp hets. When these two genes are both present and are both making their individual distinct contributions, you get a T-Positive appearing animal. Now in practical application whether or not the whole "enzyme" production thing is exactly in place as it should be to meet the precise definition of Tyrosinase Positive or not is really only relevant on paper. In reality in making cool Boas, the resultant appearance is the same. One other important thing to note is the Paradigm Boas that Mike has produced that I have seen are the best looking T-Positive animals I have personally seen. In fact the picture of the Adult he showed is by far the best looking adult T-Positive Boa I have ever seen. That is really what it is all about. Making great looking Boas.

Of course soon enough Bigg Mike will be proving more of what can be done with the Paradigm Boas and I for one am really looking forward to see what happens next!
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My theory on the Paradigm Boas: - metachrosis, Sat Sep 23 11:27:43 2006
>> Next Message:  Simple is good... - Rainshadow, Sat Sep 23 11:32:23 2006
>> Next Message:  Just one question... - ChrisGilbert, Sat Sep 23 11:35:33 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: My theory on the Paradigm Boas: - vcaruso15, Sat Sep 23 12:10:15 2006
>> Next Message:  One thing I am really looking forward to - boaphile, Sat Sep 23 12:20:56 2006