return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: I am sorry for having to be so

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Sep 29 09:21:07 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

blunt and straitforeward. And for not buttering up and making it all nice.

But please use common sense. If the iggie people were so good at keeping iggies, Then why do they import so many?

Consider, If they import 100,000 per year, and by bet it that is a low number. But its only an example. If ten percent of those reached adulthood and produced 20 offspring per pair. They would produce the origianl amount of 100,000. Thats if only 10 percent produced. Remember Iggies have lots of eggs.

Now consider if only 5 percent bred, and produced the same, then it would take two years to equal the original amount. They can produce for 10 years. So each years imports should and could produce 500K to a million offspring in their normal breeding lifes. EACH YEARS.

Now consider, that 100000 imports per year, is a year after year thing.

Simple math tells you, that those methods to keep iggies, however good you think they are, SUCK. As in really suck. If they were any good, then without question, within a very few years, THERE WOULD BE NO NEED TO IMPORT IGGIES. The reality is, if only 2 or 3 percent reproduced normally, there would be no need to import them. So why are they still importing them.

Now that same thing goes for Savs, niles, waters, etc, etc, etc.

My math is very simple, hey I learned it in the OC. It clearly points out one thing, SOMEONE is pulling the wool over your eyes. And pulling it so well, its darn funny. I wonder who that would be?????

What kills me is, you folks think or at least act like your smart, but yet, if you were, you would have no problem understanding that the pet industry, does not want you to successfully keep these animals. If you did, you would not need imports, you would not need most of the products out there. Understand this and understand this well, there is no better customer then one thats desperate. When your "pets" are sick and dying, most will purchase all sorts of product in an effort to save it.

Lets look at one, anyone of those Reptile type mags. They will have an articule of some reptile or another. You folks read it and it becomes gospel. The funny part is this. This only post articules that sell product. This goes in two ways, one, the articule sells mags. And two, the articule sells or supports add space.

To clarify that, they have to have the author use and support a varity of products. They arrange those adds around the articule in question. This supports the mag. Of course there is a wide range of this practiced, from blatant to passive.

The point is, iggies with or without UV bulbs are not successfully kept, Yes, husbandry has progressed to a point that a much smaller percentage do not die in the first month.

The reality is, all the products that are suppose to help your iggie live a normal life have done what???????? Remember, you can substitute Sav or nile, or indo monitor for the iggie.

So lets go back to me. I have no problem allowing 98% of females I raise to reproduce. I do not hibernate, I do not photoperiod or raincycle(which means I do not tell them to reproduce) I do not use UV bulbs or 90% of the commerical products out there. I simply allow the monitors/iggies/torts/snakes/turtles, etc, choices they know how to make.

I wonder how many iggies there would be out there if only 50% grew up and produced????? I would think on a normal grading system, under 50% is failing, 50 to 65% is passing, 65 to 80% is getting a B, and above 80% is getting an A.

Looks like very few are achieving a passing grade with captive husbandry. At least not with iggies and not with monitors. Cheers, remember, this is only food for thought. You know what thought is??? its the pastense of thinking.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: This post should be in highlights… - jobi, Fri Sep 29 10:45:10 2006 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: I am sorry for having to be so - Paradon, Fri Sep 29 16:16:29 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Its not about raising temps. - holygouda, Fri Sep 29 00:42:54 2006