return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Heat Tape/Rope and Plastic boxes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: ctct at Sat Sep 30 19:25:38 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ctct ]  

When I had many, many snakes and neonates I used a rack system with plastic boxes and heat tape. It works very well.

You absolutely have to have a rheostat/thermostat to control the heat as heat tape can get too hot and either melt the boxes or harm your snake. Or both. I used a very simple dimmer switch but you could get something more high tech.

I see no reason to put the tape/rope inside the enclosure as it works just fine underneath. And its easier to move the cage around without the tape inside.

If you only have one cage I think a mat or the wide tape would be better than the rope.

My tape was in contact with the plastic but as I said I carefully set the temp.

I think its always a good idea to seperate the animals from direct contact with the heat source if possible.

The probe should go on the hot spot. In this case on the cage floor over the tape. Air temp is another matter. If you want to use a seperate thermometer to check the air temp thats fine. But the probe you use to control the tape should be on the floor at the hottest spot inside the cage.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  heat treated wood - zappahitmygspot, Sun Oct 1 15:38:44 2006
<< Previous topic:  Rough green snake question - waldo, Fri Sep 29 11:03:49 2006