return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: heat treated wood

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: odyssey at Thu Oct 5 11:32:36 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by odyssey ]  

The 400 degrees suggested by Duffy is way too hot, especially if your oven runs a little hot anyway. Paper, wood, cellulose in general will burst into flame at 451 degrees (which is where the book/movie title Fahrenheit 451 comes from) and will start to scorch much lower than that. All that you're trying to do is kill off the little critters, and many of them will expire at around 150 or so. I would set your oven at 250. Then you have a margin of error (if it runs to 300 or so) that still shouldn't burn the wood. Let the oven preheat, then leave the wood in for 20 to 30 minutes or so, to give the heat time to soak into the depths of the wood (if you start to smell smoke, take out the wood and try again later with a lower oven temperature). When it's finished, take it out with a regular potholder and let it cool completely. I did this to a branch of boxelder (Acer negundo) which I use with my emerald boa and it worked well.
     You can repeat the treatment to disinfect the wood later as part of your regular cleaning, but for that I use hydrogen peroxide instead.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Night heat lamps question - TheJosephCobra, Wed Oct 4 14:25:57 2006
<< Previous topic:  Heat Tape/Rope and Plastic boxes - omarvelous, Sat Sep 30 10:49:59 2006