return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Hognose . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Night heat lamps question, depends

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - General Forum ]

Posted by: mchambers at Fri Oct 6 07:32:43 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mchambers ]  

on caging. Any heat lamp can be controlled by a rheostat / dimmer either manual or auto. A heat lamp strategically placed and a cool side or cool area is a must with day time and or night time appliance. I prefer to use spot and or flood lights/lamps depending on the cage again and if screen top, a metal dome type of fixture with the ceramic or porcelain base , not the plastic. The downward heat exchange of the spot or flood will not heat the upper area but direct the heat down to the surface and by giving the reptile the thermo area of surface place and the reptile can can move from heat to cooler to thermo - regulate. Many cages can not make use of the ceramic heat appliances because of the simple 2 facts of > small cages = over heating, wood cages just not safe. I know there is a need for substrata heat for some reptiles but, I haver never ever had to use any of these ( UTH ) with my 40 years plus of keeping and breeding herps( heck, no UTH back 20 years ago ). One can purchase a spot or flood light from 50 to 150 watts. Remember the ads on the vapor bulbs on here. One very important suggestion on any heat type of appliance > thermometer and several in cage at heat side and cool side and even the one of the therm guns / devices for quick read out at any given time. Red light bulbs are un-seen by herps as far as not being brite ( as far as I have known on all species ). There is some controversy on black lights bulbs though.
-----
I may be old , cantankerous, crabby, and cynical, but......

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Night heat lamps question - ctct, Wed Oct 4 18:41:05 2006