return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Bill's Definition ...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: GainesReptiles at Thu Oct 5 18:24:11 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by GainesReptiles ]  

Gosh, I'm kinda disappointed in the lack of discussion on this topic ... it must have been a bad topic or simply bad timing to toss it out there.

Anyways, since I initiated this topic, let me share my definition of a "big breeder", more specifically a "big Boa breeder".

First, I am limiting my definition to only BREEDERS ... not resellers, collectors, etc.

Secondly, my definition is only for BOA breeders. You might be a "big Boa breeder", a "big Gecko breeder", a "big Ball Python breeder", etc., or a even "big Reptile breeder". How you quantify the word BIG will differ for different animals, hence I am staying focused on only boas. You might be a Small boa breeder, yet a BIG Ball Python breeder.

OK, now for the key word ... BIG. Personally, BIG to me is simply defined by the "Number of Active Breeders" with which an individual works. Note that I introduced another key word, ACTIVE". Exactly, what number of active breeders makes one a Small, Medium, or Large (aka BIG) breeder is still open for discussion. As a starting point, I'll throw out the following:

Small Breeder - 2 to 25 active breeders (note that I started with 2 ... I know what some are going to say, but for me, "it still takes 2"

Medium Breeder - 25 to 75 active breeders

Large (BIG) Breeder - over 75 active breeders (definitely over 100)

In summary, a "big Boa breeder" is anyone who works with breeder stock of more than 75-100 active breeders.

I like to keep it simple. Number of babies produced, total $$$ sales, etc. will in most cases be a function of the number of animals. I know some are more prolific than others, prices will vary, etc., so let's don't go there now.

Based on my definition and starting pointed above, I am interested in what others feel are good number ranges for Small, Medium, and Large/BIG. Feel free to contribute ... maybe we can come up with a consensus.

As far as who I prefer to buy from, it normally boils down to 2 things that have little to do with the size of their breeding stock. I go with the REPUTATION of the breeder and the AVAILABILITY of "rare" animals. I'll buy from you if you have a favorable reputation (earned though prior transactions, and consensus throughout the market), and I'll buy from you if you have a rare animal that I want and only a limited number of individuals have it. Small, Medium, or BIG, this is what it takes to get my hard-earned cash. Also, I buy Genes first, and Looks second ... another reason why REPUTATION is so important.

And on a closing note, I consider myself a Medium-sized BOA breeder. The maximum number of breeder stock that I feel I can comfortably manage by myself is 50. I don't like anyone else messing with my animals. Add yearlings and new neonates to my husbandry responsibilites, not to mention marketing/sales activities, and I have my hands full.

I don't envy BIG breeders at all; these guys (and gals) work around the clock, 7 days a week, make enormous sacrifices, and in many cases, assume large financial risks though investments in facilities and animals ... if they are successful, they deserve it!

Time for me to get back to packing for Tinley Park (Chicago). I just felt I needed to offer my editorial.

Thanks for listening ... Bill

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Hey Bill, IMO you're on the right track. - rainbowsrus, Thu Oct 5 18:52:09 2006

<< Previous Message:  BIG Breeder? ... more ... - GainesReptiles, Wed Oct 4 20:37:22 2006 image in post