return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Inbreeding?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Thu Dec 7 00:35:26 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

Well, me being a hillbilly I happen to know a lil' 'bout inbreeding. Ya see, my aunt, who's also my cousin, married another cousin of mine that happens to also be her uncle. There ain't but 5 different last names in the whole county. LOL!!!

Seriously, though, inbreeding in animals is considered acceptable by most as long as its not generations upon generations. Third generation inbreeding is pushing it. This is usually when repeating genetic disorders begin to show.

Don't be embarassed or feel silly for asking, I did the same thing several years ago. My female German Shepherd got pregnant by her son when I let him out of his pen for exercise. In less than a minute it was too late.

When she had the puppies I knew for sure her son was the father and I was heartsick, thinking I was going to have to put 'em all down. I called a friend that's a Vet and told her what happened and she said, "So, what's the problem?"

I've bred them 4 times and she's due any day now with the 4th litter. Beautiful, healthy, full-blooded German Shepherds that I have a waiting list for. They're all cross-eyed and meow instead of bark, but heck, that ain't no problem. (Just kidding!)

I've got a half-brother/half-sister pair of Burmese Pythons that mated last month so I'll let ya know how that turns out in a few months.

My feeder rats are all inbreeds, too.

Personally, I'm none to wild about inbreeding, even though I've allowed some of my animals to do so. But I think a lot of that has to do with my morals.

Take care!
Mike
-----
It is said that 1 out of every 4 people are mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends, if they're normal, then it's you.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  bobble head.. - tikisnakes, Thu Dec 7 15:08:11 2006
<< Previous topic:  Pastels Breeding - ssnakes, Wed Dec 6 21:24:11 2006