return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Stupid question...bhp's and coloration

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ]

Posted by: mturner01 at Mon Dec 25 04:29:41 2006   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mturner01 ]  

Hi Derek,
Looks like you and I are in the same boat, I just got up too early to do my Santa duties! In my experience, band coloration is more hinged on genetics than on locality. I have hatched bright red, deep black, and russet brown babies all from the same clutch several times. Below are two photos from a clutch hatched three years ago. The dad is red and the mom is black.

I think that locality does indeed have something to do with Aussie BHPs, but U.S. blackies have been criss-crossed around so much that I am just very cautious assigning locale terms to animals we see here. Derek Roddy is doing some interesting ork with locality animals and he may chime in if he catches this post.
As for your second question, the hypo gene expressed itself has loudly different than the nicest reds. There will be very reduced or no black on the top of the back where the bands cross the spine. The dark pigment on the tail will be more of a purple color. The eyes are often lighter and youcan see the pupil fairly well. Many that I have seen also display some patchiness of the chin and throat area with red and/or white patches in the dark hood. Also, in good lighting, the hood will not be as dark as normal when held side-by-side with other animals. Finally, the belly is often crystal clear and devoid of markings or smudging. All of these are variable, of course, but you get the general idea. Here are some that we feel will prove to be hypo in time.

-----
Matt & Nicci Turner
www.selectiveorigins.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Stupid question...bhp's and colorati - Jaykis, Mon Dec 25 11:41:08 2006
>> Next Message:  Good Question... Great Response - Doug T, Mon Dec 25 12:04:14 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Stupid question...bhp's and coloration - squamiger, Tue Dec 26 00:33:06 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  Stupid question...bhp's and coloration - squamiger, Mon Dec 25 00:33:09 2006