return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

CONCERN, please help me help a friend.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Red_Hydra at Mon Jan 22 00:55:01 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Red_Hydra ]  

A buddy of mine called me tonight to ask about a concern he had on 1 of his 2 Surinam Redtails he has owned for the last 3 years. He noticed 4 times this week 1 of the boas, literally gasps for air, she rises from the cage floor a few inches and open mouthed tries to cough or sneeze (says similar sound). He even noticed the cage glass front is smeered in something clear (maybe flem I think). I asked for more information, but that is all he has observed so far.

I never seen or heard about this before from anyone so I am asking here, what could it be?

What I know so far is these are 2 captive bred Surinam Redtail Boas that are siblings 1.1, and they are roughly 3 years old and he has had them since 2 months old. They eat jumbo rats frozen thawed, once per week and both are roughly 25 - 30lbs and almost equal in lenght at under 6 feet. Each has its own cage of 5 x 2 x 2 wood cages. Substrate is newspaper and they both have 2 drinking water bowls and a large soaking tub as well. No lights in the cage and are heated buy flexwatt tape on a rancho thermostat, temps and humidity are the same for last 3 years and these boas have never left the snake room since introduced. There are no other snakes or animals in the house. They have never been together other than the day they were shipped. They also have there own gloves for handling and tongs to feed as well.

So what do I tell him is the reason that the boa is acting this way?

And if it a disease can it be cured and with what and dosage amount?

As for vets that is a slim situation as there are none that deal in reptiles.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  '05 Holdbacks - BOtt, Mon Jan 22 01:49:22 2007
<< Previous topic:  Freshly shed 5 footer!! - betterboa, Sun Jan 21 23:56:36 2007