return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Case of the Biting Boa

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: VaranusAqua at Fri Feb 9 20:57:40 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VaranusAqua ]  

One of my boas chooses to burrow rather then use the hides. Just that particular boas character i guess. Most boas should calm down if handled enough. For instance i bought a boa from Jeff Ronne not too long ago that turned out to be quite a little devil. Coiled up and hissed everytime i walked by its cage, struck at the glass ect.

This snake was older then 9 months as well. Anyway it absolutely hated me, one day i decided that i was sick of getting struck at when changing the water and started handling it. In only one hour of gentle handling this stubborn little brat turned into a teddybear that seemed to enjoy being handled knowing that he would be able to get out of his small cage and crawl around.

The most important part of handling (for me at least) is doing it in such a respectful manner that the snake has no reason nor the oppurtunity to strike. When your snake bit you in the face it was probably somewhat stressful to you. It was also stressful to the snake. The snake will remeber that the last time you held it it was aggravated to the point where it felt it needed to defend itself and it will probobly keep that in mind the next time its handled. Of course you did nothing wrong, but the snake thinks you did. There so stubborn sometimes.

So the trick is to handled day after day while doing your best to avoid sending into a deffensive state. When you handle it don't make much movement at all, if you make some sort of sudden move that pisses it off then just stay completely still and wait for it to get bored and move onto something else. If it stays in the "S" position and refuses to give up and keeps targetting one of your body parts you can try giving it a light rubb on the tail, which will sometimes give it the notion that something is behind it and it will want to deviate from trying to bite you and placidly start slithering away. Of course rubbing its tail could also give it the notion that somthing is behind it and it will turn around to see what it is, in which case you just stop. Make sure if you ever do this that the hand you are using is out of site of the snakes vision. You don't want it to see your hand moving towards the back but rather just feel a little pressure.

I do this alot when handling deffensive snakes. Whenever i handle them i try to make as little movement as possible, but then after about 20 mins i'll get used to it and accidntely move my head or my leg, the snake will look at me and tighten up in the neck a little bit just incase it needs to make a move, i rub the tail and it starts calmly slithering away from where it feels my finger.

Another thing I've done is stick my arm into the enclosure with the snake wrapped around it. Usually it will want to climb upwards and stay out of the cage. I might do this a couple times while handling. It seems to me that this also calms them down. First they don't want be handled, but then when offered to their cage they realize that crawling on a nice branch-like arm out in a spacious area free of their tiny enclosure isn't so bad.

But what it comes down to is handle it as much as possible, progressivly without giving it cause to strike. If it seems to get suspicious of your arm, leg, ect. Just stand still and try to wait for it to forget what its eyes were trained on in the first place. I have had many, many snakes both cb and wild caught. I also got alot of bites under my belt, but snake bites aren't that bad, as you probobly know. But in my experience the less the snake gets agravated the quicker it tames down.(obviously) I've also just let snakes bite themselves tame. But its not much fun for them. And i definitly don't enjoy it much either being on the recieving end.
-----
2.3 Bearded Dragons
1.0 Pastel Ball Pythons (NERD Line)
0.0.1 Water Monitors
1.1 Pastel Red Tailed boa Het. for Albino
1.1 Yellow Ackie Monitors
And Counting...

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Help with heating cage - cyn, Fri Feb 9 13:26:09 2007
<< Previous topic:  SHE LOOKS UNCOMFORTABLE - locsmith, Fri Feb 9 09:36:29 2007