return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Nov 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Your space is too cold and...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Fri Feb 9 15:36:59 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

Your space is too cold and or your cages are too close to a really cool place. Your window and the exterior wall it is mounted in are the trouble. The Flexwatt we use is a low wattage Flexwatt that is perfect for tweaking your temps by 10-20 degrees if your room temperature and set up are at reasonable room temperatures. In the winter time with different airflows, which can be very tricky to determine or impossible to identify, there are lots of things you can do to help boost your temps. We list those on the web site. The cages hold heat very well as well as humidity but the room temp or more specifically, the position exactly where your cages are must be at least 70 degrees. Anything lower than that will require more heating in the form of a radiant heat panel or additional heaters mounted to the outside of the cage.

The biggest thing that is difficult to visualize and describe is negative airflow issues. When it is warm outside, your exterior walls are warm too. The temperature difference between the inside and outside is minimal so the airflow indoors is minimal. Now, let it get cold outside and your exterior walls become drafty. That is even if your rooms are completely tight without any exterior air coming into your place, the cooler exterior walls have the air in the room drafting downward to the floor. The warmer air in the room rises and boom. You have currents and drafts moving everywhere in your room have is greatest effect nearest the outside walls and especially windows. Cooler air slips downward from the walls and window areas to the floor. This is something that can't easily be measured or seen.

Insulation will help you a bit but I do think you will still need more heaters on the outside of your current cages to push you up where you need to be. That is assuming you can't just move the cages to a place where they are not near that window or bring in a space heater to help keep your temperatures at a more reasonable level in the room. Call me any time during the day at the phone number listed on the site and I can help walk you through this. I don't know if I can post that number here so I won't but I know you know where to find my number.
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Your space is too cold and... - cyn, Fri Feb 9 15:57:02 2007
>> Next Message:  Now thats customer service.. - Tibor, Fri Feb 9 18:40:05 2007

<< Previous Message:  Help with heating cage - cyn, Fri Feb 9 13:26:09 2007