return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Welll first off...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: STUART at Sun Feb 11 23:08:12 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by STUART ]  

Your female unidentified boa looks like a Guyana to me. With that being said so called "true" red tails are a little trickier to breed than your "colombian" boas. Thats quite an impressive breeding for a first time boa breeder! A motley and a true red tail! If we could have all been so lucky our first year! I dont know if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon or its just me, it might be nice to hear from others on this subject. But Ive noticed with the boas Ive bred in the past that smaller females take much faster than huge large females. Your best breeder female is about 6-7 feet long and probably under 20 pounds. Those females seem to get gravid very quickly. Those big huge girls while they can throw 50 babies take literally MONTHS of courting to get them to produce, some males just cant go that long especially the little guys. I dont know if thats true for all but thats been my experience and Ive never talked about it nor asked anyone about that before. Any how big females sometimes will frustrate you. So with that said the only thing you can do is throw another male in with your female and see if he courts her. If he does shes not gravid. You then have two choices keep your male motley in and see if he will start up again or use the other male. Chances are great they will both split the clutch of babies and you will end up with motleys. Without pics of a swelling it is impossible to tell if your female is gravid or not. But best of luck! Heres a pic of my 10 foot huge albino female
Pythons.Net
Pythons.Net

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  06/07 Motley Breeding Trials....LONG! - Luke Snyder, Sun Feb 11 17:41:46 2007