return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

here's one to boggle your mind.... long

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: NUCCIZ_BOAS at Sat Mar 17 12:39:24 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by NUCCIZ_BOAS ]  

It does mine anyways.... While I am at work, my mind seems to wander, usually about boas. Something hit me yesterday that is driving me wild just thinking about the endless possibilities of what could happen with this....

We all know Motley is a co-dominant gene. A motley is correctly described as a heterozygous motley. Breeding a motley to a motley produces the homozygous form, or the "super" motley. The "super" motley is a jet black snake with black eyes, one of my personal favorites.

On the other hand, we have a somewhat new boa that hasn't been bred or experimented with yet, in the form of the Leucistic boa that is said to be over in Brazil somewhere. This is a beautiful paper white snake with black eyes.... Lets just assume the Leucistic gene works the same in boas as it does in Ball pythons, which would make it co-dominant. The hets for leucistic would be visibly different from the normal wild type boa. Breeding a het leucistic x het leucistic would produce a homozygous form, in other words the "super" white leucistic.

But this is what has my mind in knots this morning..... What happens if we bred a homozygous motley x homozygous leucistic?????? Both of these genes have visibly "morphish" het offspring.... The offspring would have to come out as some sort of a visual double-het, and WOW wouldn't that be something to see????? We've all seen the crazy mixtures that come out of hypo/motley or motley/arabesque......

Or we can even take this a step further and breed the double het for lucy/motley to another double het lucy/motley, which would produce a double homozygous leucistic/motley..... Crossing a jet black snake with black eyes to a paper white snake with black eyes.... WHAT WOULD THAT LOOK LIKE!?!?!?!?!? Or better yet, what would we call it?????

Perhaps an oreo body with white eyes? haha. The imagination can run wild with this for seemingly a few years, I don't think we will see this happen any time in the next few years.

When it does happen, I think we should call it the "eclipse" boa.....

Comments?????

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I have seen what you speak of..... - PBM, Sat Mar 17 15:06:31 2007 image in post
>> Next Message:  No Big Deal ... - GainesReptiles, Sat Mar 17 19:02:47 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: here's one to boggle your mind.... - ChrisGilbert, Mon Mar 19 02:33:22 2007