return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My turn

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ]

Posted by: colby at Fri Aug 15 21:22:19 2003   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by colby ]  

I worked at a zoo for a while. They had something called fast Friday. They would not feed the Birds of Prey, felids, wolves or bears on Friday to mimic a fasting that they would encounter in the wild. These animals also encounter disease in the wild but it doesn't mean it is healthy. That is what I would call a bad captive verses wild analogy. You say it is bad for me to feed more than one or two mice weekly because it can cause liver problems. Overfeeding is not a cause of liver failure.
Fasting is the cause of Hepatic Lipidosis. When an animal does not eat and starts to use it's fat reserve the fat gets trapped in the liver causing liver failure in some animals. Hepatic Lipidosis has not been proven to cause problems in reptiles especially ones that brumate.
Hognose have an abundance of food sources compared to other snakes of North America. They eat almost anything. They eat toads, frogs, lizards, snakes, birds, mice and who knows what else? I'm sure that they go without food sometimes but that does not mean it is healthy. After all those little toads go away where do they go? Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they are gone. I'm sure most of them die, but some live a while underground waiting to be eaten. But like you said we shouldn't compare wild hognose to captives. I think that is true for now so let's move on.
I feed my hogs what they want. It is a lot more than what people think is healthy. I think it is because they have some kind of old school knowledge about how a snake only needs to eat once a week and can go months without eating. And all of that knowledge came from ? I get my info from my hogs, it's all I got. They are healthy. I don't have problems with them eating because I don't starve them. Hognose keepers can do what they like. If they want to go by what they read on the net that's fine. I would recommend they turn off the computer and watch the populations they have at home because it would be impossible to get real data from wild hognose regarding feeding habits.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  My husband cuaght a hognose snake today at work... - bella78953, Wed Aug 13 22:16:12 2003
<< Previous topic:  in search of female w. hog - scoop, Wed Aug 13 13:17:15 2003