return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Tyrosinase for Dummies:

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Thu May 31 17:18:13 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

Tyrosinase for Dummies:

I consider myself one so, before you get all bent out of shape, I AM the DUMMY to which I refer. Anyone wanna argue that point? OK, So since we all agree on that one, I will make my logical if not completely scientific observations.

When the first "T-Positive" Argentine Boas appeared more than about ten years ago now, they were shortly known to be a simple recessive trait but were not called "T-Positive" Albinos as they are called today. They were called what I logically thought they were, not being scientifically savvy, Argentine Hypos. Simple recessive Hypos. Hypomelanism in every Reptile that I am aware except Boa Constrictors has always been a simple recessive trait. It doesn't matter if there are additional exceptions to that or not, the fact is in nearly every instance Hypos are Homozygous forms of a simple recessive mutation. So when the Hypo Boas first appeared, it took a little different thinking to let it all sink in. It has certainly made it's way into the main stream reptile knowledge base today.

It was only around eight or ten years ago that these simple recessive Hypo Argentines became known as "T-Positive Albinos". So what was a "T-Positive Albino" I asked. I asked around and here is the basic, although apparently scientifically inaccurate definitions of the two types of Albinos:

"T-Negative Albinos": In T-Negative Albinos, all production of melanin is interrupted completely resulting is an Albino devoid of any black influence whatsoever.

"T-Positive Albinos": In T-Positive Albinos, part of the production of melanin is interrupted resulting is an Albino that still retains some level of melanin influence.

Those are the simple definitions I had believed, and since I am pretty simple minded, that was easy for me to comprehend. Inaccurate though it may be, that is what I thought.

So now we find that the "true" Albinos we have always assumed were T-Negative Albinos are not necessarily so. The visa versa is true of what we thought were T-Positive Albinos heretofore. So what in the world is a simpleton like me supposed to believe, know or even think? Well this is what I think. This is only what I think and since I am an admitted simpleton, don't believe it OK?

So if we are going to go with the technically correct definitions, then we don't know what any of these animals are. There isn't any way everyone is going to drop what they have always thought was true regardless of the accuracy of it. So people will call them what they will and some will continue to argue because it isn't technically correct. I am all for being scientifically accurate by the way, but we just don't know what most of this stuff is or isn't scientifically. So what are we going to do? I have to get my little brain around something to have an accurate understanding of anything. That is often a tall order as this one is here and now.

So for me and my little brain, it's back to basics. I am back to believing what I had believed for more years before the "T-Positive" name had been tossed around like cord wood. The "T-Positive" appearing animals may of may not actually be true "T-Positive" animals. But they are absolutely at the very least simple recessive Hypomelanistic Boas. There is the exception of the Paradigm Boas which is a horse all it's own. With that one exception, all the other animals, if in fact proven to be simple recessive as we know some are already, are simply at least simple recessive Hypos. That is simple enough for me to understand. The "T-Positive" Argentines were "Hypos" long before they became known as T-Positive. The change of name either direction has absolutely no impact on the unique desirability of the animal. So I will think of all the "T-Positive" appearing animals as simple recessive Hypos. Other can, will and should call their animals whatever they want to. In fact if the "T-Positive" moniker remains the norm for all the T-Positive appearing animals, I too will be calling them T-Positive. If the name "T-Positive Albinos" continues to be the norm, I'm going to stay with that too.

So while many of us know that scientifically or technically, the term "T-Positive Albino" is not necessarily accurate, we all know what we actually mean when we use that term. After all, we are not writing for a scientific journal. We are hobbyist talking shop in such a way that everyone understands what we are talking about. Which makes me wonder why I bothered to open my big mouth to begin with. I'm going to go contemplate that one now and if I come up with an answer, I'll post it later.
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  I agree 100% you are a dummy - Craig K., Thu May 31 17:53:26 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Tyrosinase for Dummies: - PBM, Thu May 31 18:47:45 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Tyrosinase for Dummies: - horridus, Thu May 31 22:16:16 2007