return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

More Tyrosinase clarification:

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Fri Jun 1 14:29:55 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

More Tyrosinase clarification:

So then are each of these statements accurate?

1. The Sharp Albinos may be Tyrosinase Positive or they may be T-Negative.
2. The Kahl Albinos may be Tyrosinase Positive or they may be T-Negative.
3. The VPI Caramel Albinos may be Tyrosinase Positive or they may be T-Negative.
4. The (Fill in the blank) may be Tyrosinase Positive or they may be T-Negative.

If all of these are in fact accurate, then who cares if any of them are Tyrosinase Positive or T-Negative? What difference does it make? If the only difference is a more accurate scientific understanding of the chemical properties of what the root cause of the Albinism is, then it matters not a whit to Boa Breeders. Then all this talk of Tyrosinase Positive or Tyrosinase Negative has been a endless discussion of apples and oranges as we were never talking about the exact chemical cause but of the resulting appearance of what we are working with. If our previously believed definitions are wrong, then all this has been an endless pursuit of nothing.

I am trying to get to the root of this and what matters and what does not matter. I feel like we are getting someplace, but I don't like where that place is necessarily. If all this talk for years about Tyrosinase Positive this and Tyrosinase Positive that is a misnomer, I'm going to have a stroke. My head hurts trying to get a good grip on all this and I am afraid that if the statements listed above are all accurate, we have all spent a great deal of energy comprehending an at best, inaccurate idea or at worst, a non-existent fairy tale.

What I think I know is this. There are two kinds of Albinos;

1. The type that show virtually zero influence of melanin. (Two known lines: Sharp and Kahl)
2. All the other Albinos that so far are also simple recessive. (Numerous lines differing widely in expression)
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: More Tyrosinase clarification: - Horridus, Fri Jun 1 15:00:44 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: More Tyrosinase clarification: - Paul Hollander, Fri Jun 1 16:06:56 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: More Tyrosinase clarification: - drimes, Fri Jun 1 16:28:23 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: More Tyrosinase clarification: - ChrisGilbert, Fri Jun 1 17:33:25 2007