return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

OK, Scoria Boas; So how did this happen?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Sat Jun 9 09:51:29 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

OK, Scoria Boas; So how did this happen?

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but, this is something really interesting that we should take some note of.

Scoria Boas. This year the original Scoria Boa was bred to a completely unrelated female and produced 18 babies. Ten of them Scoria and eight not. This just about guarantees that the Scoria is in fact a Dominant genetic trait and possibly a Co-Dominant mutation. We'll have to wait for somebody to prove them Co-Dom some time later. Two years ago this same male bred his mother and produced about half a litter of Scorias and half not. That made it look like it probably was a simple recessive trait right? Not so fast.

The first litter that produced the very first Scoria male, in 2003, had a total of seventeen babies with only one of them being the Scoria male. Wow! What an animal! But only one. The two parents came from completely different sources and different times so they were not known to be related at all. Then the same pair produced another litter in 2004. This time there were twenty five babies in the litter with one single Scoria female making her appearance. Holy Mackerel! Did lightning struck twice?

The third litter that contained any Scoria was the original male's first litter produced after breeding his Mom. Despite this, because of the really really low number of Scorias in the first two litters, only one in each, I speculated that the Scoria Boas would be a Dominant genetic trait. I didn't make any scientific tabulation to come to that conclusion. Just looking at the numbers and only two coming from a total of 42 babies I just thought it seemed really unlikely that they were a simple recessive mutation.

Now this year using an unrelated female ten of eighteen are Scoria Boas. So has anyone else thought about this? Did lightning strike twice? A single pair of animals were bred twice and produced the first two litters. Each of these litters contained a single new mutation that right now appears to be Dominant. So how did that happen? What is within these two original parents that apparently makes them genetically predisposed to crank out a brand new Dominant mutation not once but twice? Mutations are supposed to just spontaneously occur and are not "made" right? Well, something unique must be in these two animals to have had not one new mutant, but two pop up. Not only that but it is the exact same mutation that has occurred both times? Something is "making" these new Scoria Boas.

So HOW does that work?

One thing I have thought about for a while is this. Most of the time when a new "morph" pops up, it pops up from wild caught animals. They are most often imports and not captive bred. What is important about this is most of the time, a single new mutant appears with no related animals to be found. In this case, Jeff in North Dakota still has nearly all the related animals to the Scoria Boas. Another interesting case in point although slightly different is the "T-Positive Albino" Argentines and the Motley Argentines. Both came from the same bloodline. Everyone thought that was just an unbelievable coincidence. This next question has no basis in science or even logic for that matter but, "are animals that produce a new mutation just somehow more likely to have "lightning strike twice" or create more than one mutation?"

These few things have just been rolling around inside that big empty box that I call my head. Does anyone else have any thoughts along these lines or a specific explanation as to how a single pair of animals can twice produce a new mutation?
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Arabesque boas - Viandy, Sat Jun 9 10:11:13 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: OK, Scoria Boas; So how did this happen? - whitneywee, Sat Jun 9 10:30:27 2007
>> Next Message:  Jeff - giantkeeper, Sat Jun 9 10:54:17 2007
>> Next Message:  That darn lightning... - skyslinger, Sat Jun 9 11:02:13 2007 image in post