return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

eh...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: edkim at Mon Jun 18 19:34:37 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by edkim ]  

the red eye effect in pictures is actually from blood vessels and the fact that your pupils are dialated at night. the red eye reduction creates two flashes, one to make the pupils smaller and one for the picture. albinos usually have red eyes because the lack of melanin allows the blood vessels to show. so, if a snake actually has red eyes then the camera will not reduce the red. and i believe the picture you posted may be one of vpi's pink panther HET for t . the other pictures in the gallery show obvious VPI t .

either way i believe t is just a name until someone can actually map out all the genetics to prove it. to my understanding all animals, excluding t- albinos, will show positive for tyrosinase including pastels, hypos and all so a test for tyrosinase won't really be effective unless it's to test something like the sharp strain whose phenotype is very distinct.

i think you have some beautiful snakes, however i believe the only thing about your line that resembles a VPI t is some gray scales (which may cause people to question why you call them t albinos). VPI t are very light and resemble albinos when born, but still have noticeable melanin, which makes sense why they would call it t .

maybe it's a darker form of t albino, who knows. it's hard to force your opinions on people unless you can prove that it is in fact a t albino and looks how a t albino name would imply. but personally when i think of t albino i imagine something like this (taken from the VPI website)

all people see are the looks of the snake. no matter how much you argue about genetics, it all comes down to the looks. i can take a hypo and tell the world it's missing a 19th chromosome, but unless i can prove that it looks completely different than any other hypo, it will always just be a hypo.

i'm not hear to step on anyone's toes, but i can understand both your point-of-views.

i think they are some killer snakes either way.

-eddie

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Arabesque Het Anerythristic - texhiss, Mon Jun 18 16:02:58 2007
<< Previous topic:  Super Stripe CA Boas - just born! - conleyherps, Mon Jun 18 12:21:43 2007