return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: veggie & substrate question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: mobius at Thu Jun 28 12:22:31 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mobius ]  

Thanks-- I sorta figured it was a case of if I need it peeled, she needs it peeled. I think I peeled her grapes and apples (did I say peas? I meant apples!) when she was a baby cuz I always peel them when I feed them to little kids. Which leads to my next question....seeds. Obviously fruit seeds aren't suitable. But, zucchini and squash? I got kleio more towards the fall, and so have always bought her squash from the store, and I generally chose smaller ones, where a good portion of it doesn't really have seeds in it yet. Are beardies able to digest the more formed seeds of squash and zucchini? I know I, as a human, eat them. But would they be cause for possible impaction in a beardie? And now that it's summer, I've got zucchini out the ears, but generally bigger than the ones I got at the store.
(Sorry if it's a dumb question, but weeding out the seeds takes a whole lot of time which I'll gladly continue using if necessary, but would like to stop wasting if unnecessary!)

As for the enclosure-- the table itself is 4' by 1.5' at the bottom, but the top juts out more, so by the time I build the doors on, I'm pretty sure it'll be close to 4x2 (in either case, it's wider than what she's in now. Silly 'tall' tanks! seems like they have *no* floor space!!)

the height is about 12" if I leave the bottom pieces in, and I haven't decided if I'm going to take them out and make a drop down floor, or if I'm going to leave them in and add height to the top. The lights won't be inside tho (which is why I asked about the glass)- I'm always paranoid about my critters burning themselves by somehow jumping on to the lamps and prefer the heat lamps to be out of their reach. What I *might* do, is leave the one side as is, and put the uvb on that side, and build up the other side where the basking lamps will go.

Sorry, I just realized I'm rambling about something that is probably impossible to visualize. I'll have to post pictures at some point!

Thanks again for the replies!

>>For squash you have to cut the peal off, because it is much tougher than most vegetables. Zuccini is fine. Pretty much if you have to cut it off for you to eat, you need to cut it off for the dragon. I never heard about a need to peal grapes or peas, I just chop them. But I rarely feed either so that could be why I never had any issues.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>using a coffee table for a enclosure is fine, providing it has at least 4'x2' of floor space. Height should be 18" to give enough room for lights (if inside).
>>
>>For the UVB light, you will need to remove the glass or mount the uvb bulb inside the cage. Glass will block UVB rays. I also think it will block alot of heat as well, but not all of it. You can feel the heat from the sun through a window easily but it is not as powerful as through a screen or unblocked completely. So you will need a hotter basking bulb to get the basking spot to the right temperatures.
>>-----
>>PHLdyPayne
-----
0.2 cats (Pandora & Journey)
0.1 bearded dragon (Kleio)
0.0.1 green tree frog (Squishy)
0.0.3 fishes (namoli, Asana, Adagio)

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  cricket water pillows - crazydragon, Tue Jun 26 21:15:13 2007
<< Previous topic:  Soaking / Bathing? - Jake_Jackson, Tue Jun 26 14:10:14 2007