return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Scared Beardie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Wed Jun 27 19:18:24 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

Well, Lady, you either have been paying attention and have a good memory, OR, you took the time to go back for a review of previous posts. Either way, I think it shows good problem-solving skills and care/concern.

Plus, I think you're dead on.

I've been flat covered up and haven't been able to post much in any section here at KS.com. Niddy & I have exchanged a few e-mails since you & BDlvr first joined in our quest to figure out what's up with Bindy (beardie).

It's been a long, drawn-out, process of elimination but thanks to fresh ideas from the two of ya'll I think I've come to the same conclusion as your last reply. There's something about Bindy's setup that's she's not comfortable with.

> > > "After a few weeks, go back to handling her briefly, for only a few minutes."

I'd even go as far as suggesting that Bindy be petted, gently touched/stroked, for a few days before going back to picking her up.

> > > "Also, at her age, dragons can get into strange mood swings which may pass in a few weeks as well."

This is one thing that has sort of held me back on coming to a conclusion. I've got a male that's about 2 months or so older and he started acting like Bindy a fe weeks before she did. I kept holding onto the "phase" idea while trying to objectively look for other possibilities. This is also one reason why I didn't post my thoughts in niddy's first thread, so they wouldn't pollute anyone else's ideas.

My beardie was also placed in a new cage at, or about, the same time his behavior changed. However, mine has kind of come & gone, in/out his different behavior. I think my beardie's main problem is the two younger beardies I got about the same time that are housed in the same room. One I believe to be a female.

Anyway, I may be wrong but I think Bindy's been in her slump too long for it to be a phase, alone.

Summary:
I think PHLdyPayne hit the nail on the head. No signs of parasites, diseases, impaction, dehydration, illnesses (other than stress), being gravid, cage/basking temps all seem to be fine, etc...

And I think your advice is as worthy as your diagnosis.

OK, I'd better stop there before I give you "the big head." LOL!

Well, there you go, niddy. I think the forum has proven its worth where me & you, alone, were having trouble coming to a definite conclusion. But with the help of others, collaboration, I think we've located the problem, now we just have to work on fixing it. It'll take some time, a nice, slow, approach should do the trick.

Thanks for helping out a friend. I owe you & BDlvr one.

Ya'll take care!
HH
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  URGENT someone help - tjmi69, Wed Jun 27 09:06:52 2007
<< Previous topic:  cricket water pillows - crazydragon, Tue Jun 26 21:15:13 2007