return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Scared Beardie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Wed Jun 27 22:40:49 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

> > > "...are we SURE..."

Just as sure as: There's no such thing as a "sure thing."

NOT what you wanted to hear, eh?

The average bearded dragon doesn't need to handled a lot for it to be docile, its their nature. earded Dragons are naturally tame, with few exceptions. As far as I know Bindy never has been aggressive. The worst case scenario would be that she became a little flighty after not being handled. I'd rather have a flighty (fleeing) beardie than a stressed beardie. They're generally healthier because of the toll stress has on the body.

The feeling of neglecting her is human emotions. Reptiles aren't capable of emotions, so she's not going to look at it the same way. Plus, I'm sure you can think of a time or two where something was bothering you and maybe some family/friends were trying to help you deal with it but all you wanted was to be left alone for awhile.

Something else to consider; are you making any progress by holding her as often as you have been here lately?

> > > "I've heard tons that with ANY animal, if you want them to be docile, handle them often."

Don't believe in that, niddy, it's not true. I used to think the same way until I got into monitor lizards. I've got a Nile Monitor and a Savannah Monitor that'll flat out turn you every which way but loose if you go trying to handle them. The more I tried handling the Nile the worse it got. It showed me that we can't force everything into submission. Fortunately, with beardies, we don't have to worry about it.

If you're still uneasy about leaving her be for awhile, maybe at least try slacking off some and let the time you're gone be her break from handling.

Hang in there, big heart!
HH
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Scared Beardie - niddy, Wed Jun 27 21:17:44 2007