return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Scared Beardie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: BDlvr at Thu Jun 28 06:14:55 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BDlvr ]  

I think some beardies are just more curious than others. When I change my males enclosure he hides like Bindy. So I block or take any hide away before I put him in. Within a few weeks I uncover the hides and he's fine. I never put a cool side hide in during the summer. I don't offer a cool side hide until I can tell they are going to brumate and I don't want them to do so in a hot side hide.

A part of me feels that there is still something else wrong. Some dragons can be real temperature sensitive. The Hot side has an ambient of 85 to the low 90's right. I find an ambient over 91 or 92 is too warm for them. Of course the basking spot should be 105. Also your temps. may be too low possible causing her to think of brumating. You said once that the cool side was 70. That seems odd to me. Even in the winter in my 5' x 2' enclosures the cool side is never 70 when the warm side is the proper ambient. What are you using to heat the enclosure. Bulbs? How many and what wattage? Are they laying on the screen?

I would also consider things like vibration or constant noise. Does your fluorescent fixture make a constant humm? Is the new enclosure in the same place as the old one? Do you have another pet? A curious cat could really stress out a beardie as well as the sight of a natural predator such as a monitor or large bird.

What are you using for UVB? I tried regular compact fluorescents in one enclosure this winter and the dragon tended to shy away from it.

I'd rule out tank size. What is different between her old setup and new? Maybe you should consider a more simple setup. Maybe a 12" x 12" slate tile sitting on top of 2 1/2 logs or something. I looked at the picture you posted again and just really can't believe she can get comfortable on those logs. You should consider this unless it is the same as her old place. Perhaps she fell off once. When dragons are adults they don't sleep in all the crazy positions that the babies do. A flat basking area may entice her to sleep there, so she would still be there when the lights come on in the morning.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  URGENT someone help - tjmi69, Wed Jun 27 09:06:52 2007
<< Previous topic:  cricket water pillows - crazydragon, Tue Jun 26 21:15:13 2007