return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Scared Beardie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: BDlvr at Thu Jun 28 17:20:42 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BDlvr ]  

First of all. I want to say that damn "apalachian american"(lol) has been a real improvement to this forum. He is obviously very experienced and knowledgable. All of his posts are well thought out and intelligent. I can tell it comes from much experience and contemplation.

OK, now that he got his perk. lol. Lets move on.

Jeni, don't rely on what one person says. None of use have the all the answers. I personally think you should go the UVB route. Some dragons are fine without it and some are not. Your friend HH has an opposing opinion and I respect that. But, in your case I am concerned and would change everything I do until I find the solution. That's my 2 cents.

I don't regulate the low side temp. but I can tell you that if the ambient in a 4' x 2' enclosure is 91 (I use thermostats) then the ambient on the low side will be about 81 at the least in the summer.(I A/C to 75) I just feel that if yours is 70 then the ambient is no where near 90 on the hot side in only a 55 Gal. tank.

I don't think 65W is enough if you are using a 55 Gal. glass aquarium with a screen top. You need another lamp at least to spread out the heat. (this I'm sure of)

Maybe dragons don't need a UVB source. But, does it really cost that much to give them one. Plus, bright lighting stimulates eating and activity. One 65 Watt bulb is no where near as bright as it is outside. Cage brightness could really be your problem.

I don't understand your answer to the next one but if it means the tank is now on the floor when it was on a table the cat may seem much more menacing from this vantage point.

I'd really consider better lighting. Even if you are hard set on the no UVB thing I'd get regular long fluorescent bulbs. Sunlight is intense in the summer and dimmer in the winter. Fluorescents put out a whiter light and will make your enclosure much brighter that will really help. (B22 support me on this. lol.)

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Scared Beardie - niddy, Thu Jun 28 22:06:25 2007
>> Next Message:  Ha! Ha! - HappyHillbilly, Fri Jun 29 22:23:50 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Scared Beardie - niddy, Thu Jun 28 12:13:08 2007