return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Scared Beardie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: BDlvr at Fri Jun 29 06:17:50 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BDlvr ]  

OK. You walk on a black road in bare feet and it's way hotter than the 85 the weatherman says it is out. The road is like the basking spot it is warmer because the heat is absorbed by it rather than just passing through it like it does the air. (mostly lol) The 85 the weatherman says is the ambient temp.

So you put a thermometer probe on the basking spot and it should read about 105. You put another out of the direct light on the hot side and it should read in the high 80's. Sometimes it's called the background temp. If she's over 12" I'd drop that 115 down to 105.

I posted a pic. I use two spot bulbs in this enclosure. There is a temp. probe embedded in the tile that displays the basking temp. (assuming there's no dragon on it) on the outside of the cage. (just out of the frame of the pic) and then near the glass and on the far wall you can see Flukers Thermometer/Hygrometers that show the ambient (background) and humidity.

UVB fluorescents do not provide heat. My thought for heat was another lamp with a slightly lower wattage bulb.

The problem with enclosures with screen tops is that heat rises. So it takes more watts to push the heat down. If you can get the cage ambient right then you can raise or lower the basking spot to get that temp. right. If the ambient on the hot side is say 88 then I am sure the cool side will be closer to 80 and not 70.

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  URGENT someone help - tjmi69, Wed Jun 27 09:06:52 2007
<< Previous topic:  cricket water pillows - crazydragon, Tue Jun 26 21:15:13 2007