return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Acting Strange...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Thu Jun 28 19:55:44 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

Emily,
You need to get the those temeratures down, ASAP. The basking area for adult beardies should be 100 - 105 degrees and the cool end should be between 80 - 85.

Don't take away his hide. In fact, I'd put the hide as far on the cool end as I could, for the time being, at least.

Sounds like Ramses is trying to escape the heat or the light, maybe even both. (I can hear some people saying, "Well, duh! The light's producing heat so of course the beardie is trying to get away from both, the two are one." Not so fast, read on.)

You said that you changed the UVB bulb and said that the UVB bulb produces heat. If it is actually a UVB bulb that produces that much heat, its a mercury vapor bulb.

If mercury vapor bulbs are placed too close to an animal the UVB rays can be too intense, sometimes causing eye problems, among other things. If this is the case, Ramses may be able to handle the heat from the bulb, at least for short periods of time, but not the intensity of the light rays.

If, by chance, you're mistaken on the bulb type, it could be one of the "Full Spectrum" spot lights commonly sold for lizards. ESU makes one and I can't think of another brand right off hand. They generally come in different wattages, like: 60-watt, 75-watt, 100-watt.

These bulbs cause a lot of confusion because of their "Full Spectrum" label. They're not actually full spectrum, they only produce UVA, not UVA & UVB. These bulbs are commonly used for basking sites which also acts as a source for overall heat.

If all of that is elementary to you, I apologize, I didn't intend to insult your intelligence. However, all of that info isn't in vain as there will undoubtedly be someone reading in the background that wasn't aware of it.

Anyway, back to Ramses:
With such high temps in his cage its important to make sure he's not deydrated. A couple of good 30-minute soaks should do the trick.

At his age & size, full-grown crickets won't be too big. That is, as long as you're not feeding him "Texas-style giant jumbo gumbo extra large" crickets that are 5-inches long. LOL!

Get yourself one of those $6 timers from just about anywhere (except from a petstore where it will cost you at least twice that). You'll be soooooooooo glad you did.

Quote - "I have no other beardies and not many people come in my room very often(not sure why...maybe cause it's messy and full of creatures...)" - Unquote

Ha! Ha! Your room? Heck, that sounds like my house. LOL!

Here's you a good care sheet, probably the best one out there, in my opinion, at least.
www.dachiu.com/care/abeard.html

Have a good one!
HH
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Acting Strange... - Casper06, Thu Jun 28 20:17:03 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Acting Strange... - Casper06, Thu Jun 28 12:05:12 2007