return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: mites

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Sun Jul 1 16:17:16 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

I suggest using Provent a Mite. It is a great product that works wonders with mites.

However getting rid of mites for good does take some effort. First you have to get rid of anything in the cage that mites can easily lay eggs in. A wooden cage will have to be scrubbed and all cracks sealed (if mite eggs are already in the cracks, they will die or at least be stuck there, if sealed in). If you cage is plastic, pvc or other such material that can easily be washed, wash it completely and soak in 1:10 bleach/water solution (yes, very strong, kill everything at this strength) for about 20 minutes then rinse completely. Or, if you don't wan tot use bleech, soak the cage with hot soapy tap water to kill eggs and live mites. Beach will disinfect much better though.

Any hard to clean wooden cage furniture should just be thrown out and replaced with cheap plastic, rocks or bricks that can be washed easily for the rest of the treatment period. All loose substrate should be thrown out (if bags of sand etc, especially washed play sand that is still damp, are kept in the same room as the dragon, toss it out as well. Mites like to lay eggs in damp areas and damp sand is ideal)

Soak your dragon to drown any mites on her, pouring water over areas she can't submerge (be careful as you want to give your dragon warning before she accidentally inhale water poured on her head). She is not going to like this so expect a fair amount of fighting back. Might be an ideal to wear gloves and long sleeves to protect yourself from scratches. Also be careful not to get water down her ears.

With Provent a Mite, you can just spray the entire cage and let dry. I suggest using paper towel substrate only. Newsprint is ok but not completely sure if the chemicals in the ink will react badly with the chemical in the spray..so best to eliminate any possible complications. I haven't heard of any so I am probably being paranoid. ALso spray the cage furniture you are putting back in. You should just have a basking spot and maybe a hide, keep it simple. The more simple, the easier to do future treatments and less chance of mites coming back. Once everything is dry, put your dragon back in and his water dish.

Treat the cage once a month or about 2-3 months, till all signs of mites are gone both on the dragon or in the cage. If you have other lizards, treat them as well, even if you don't see any mites on them. Don't use PRovent a Mite with amphibians, pet insects (oh if you have them, get them out of the room where Provent a mite is being used...don't want to kill all your pet tarantulas and scorpions. Same goes with feeder insects. Get them out of the room as well. Also, don't use it with Geckos. Geckos for some reason are highly sensitive to the chemicals in most mite products.

Read the label on the can, those directions are pretty much what I recapped above, but always good to double check. I am getting old and memory not as good LOL. Well, not that old but I have inherited my dad's memory...Not serious memory failures, just a typical go into the kitchen to get something but when you get there, you forget what you wanted LOL.

Provent a Mite isn't the only good product out there, Reptile Relief is suppose to be very good as well but I have never used it and it doesn't come as highly recommended as Provent a Mite (which is used by most snake keepers but it is advertised as good for most reptiles). Others have used NIX, the stuff for human head lice...as it has the same ingredient as PAM but I don't know the process as well so won't lay it out. A search on the kingsnake forums should bring up more info. Or a google search as I have seen it on other reptile oriented forums as well, just can't recall off hand.

Things to remember. Even if other cages don't have bearded dragons or lizards, it doesn't mean the mites won't go there to lay eggs. Mites can and do migrate. IN fact only in one stage of their 4-6 stage life cycle, do they actually feed on animals. Hence eliminating all areas these buggers can lay eggs, is the only way to eradicate them for good.

Ok I have babbled long enough.
-----
PHLdyPayne

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: mites - BDlvr, Sun Jul 1 05:08:48 2007