return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Heres my opinion and concerns for.......

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Ruben14 at Sat Jul 7 13:36:57 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ruben14 ]  

this project.

Ok, the first breeding was done via a Sharp albino X het Kahl and I said above that the animals from that litter came out all normal meaning the two lines weren't compatable. So, yes there were animals in the litter het for both and some just het Sharp. Now,I also mentioned they were put down. I don't know the exact reason why the parties put the animals down but it might be because of the reason I have against it. Which is, if you have these double hets for both out there eventually they are going to get scattered around. Which means there will be some breedings that produce het Sharps poss het Kahl or vise versa. Now, with those being out there to me everything is going to get messed up. Why you ask? Lets say someone comes into the hobby and likes Sharps more so they buy a pair of hets that are related to animals that came from one of the above breedings and lets say they were only poss het Kahl so the seller didn't mention it or maybe that person had know idea. Now lets say for the sake of arguement they both(male and female) were actually double hets. This person breeds them has a successful litter of albino's and poss hets. He's happy and wants to post some forsale to make some money for other animals he's had his eyes on. Now here's the problem. He's going to be selling them as Sharp albinos right cause thats the hets he bought but there will be Kahl albino's in there also..RIGHT? Now,someones going to buy one thinking they're getting a Sharp and it's actually going to be a Kahl. Then they're going to breed it to a het, dh or whatever only to get a litter with NO albinos,sunglows ETC. Now there's even more of these double carriers out there that are going to further confuze everything.

This is just a small example of what COULD happen. It could go other ways, more experienced/responsible people who have worked with both for awhile could pick out which are Sharps and which are Kahls but somewhere down the line it's going to happen if we have all these poss double hets out there. Even the albinos could be poss het or het Kahl or Sharp. I mean how many times do we see posts like "YAY BABIES PLUS A SURPRISE!!" where people bred an albino to an anery expecting to make double hets and the albino actually proved to be het anery and the owner had no clue of this even being a possibility. It happenes and will end up happening with the albino strains sooner or later.

I'm not saying don't do it cause everyone is there own person and who am I to say don't breed YOUR animals together. All i'm saying is if it's done be responsible and don't let the double het bloodlines leak out together. This is probably why the animals from the first breeding were put down. To prevent the above scenario.

Thats why I feel the project should be left alone. I admit in my first post the example I gave where I said "why would you want to breed a line of albino's that Keep their color and actually gain it as they grow, with a line that starts out nice and then dulls out after time(90% of the time)" was a little harsh on screen. I didn't mean it to look like I was talking down on Kahls which after reading it again it did,but sometimes it's hard to express true feelings or sarcasm on screen. Someones always going to take it the wrong way no matter what you do or how you meant it.

Anyways,thanks for taking the time to read this and remember,what I said above is just a possible scenario so please don't turn it into something it's not!

Thanks,Ruben Pictured are my favorite Kahl I used to own and one of my favorite Sharps

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Heres my opinion and concerns for....... - reagorfu, Fri Jul 13 10:38:23 2007

<< Previous Message:  100% sharp & kahl het X 100% sharp & kah - reagorfu, Fri Jul 6 01:46:07 2007