return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Hypothetical Pet Store..........

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: BALLERS at Sun Jul 8 20:38:42 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BALLERS ]  

It can work. My business partner and I met at our job (college years) at a pet store we both worked at. We decided to team up after college and start our own store. Both of us worked in specialty pet stores for at least 4 year before we graduated and took the plunge. We still have not opened it, but we have our reptile breeding business and we both have our careers. I am a financial broker and my partner is a biologist. We have been on the verge of opening the store several times, but something always seems to get in our way. We have analyzed this industry beyond your wildest dreams, and we have found that to be successful you must have everything right before you make your move. Everything from rent/mortgage, to location, vender's (product and animals), and $$$ must be in "sync", or you can go belly up quick. In college, I became a manager at a store I worked at, and within 12 months I took the store from a 1.3 million gross, to a 2.7 million gross. There is money to be made with "GOOD" stores in certain areas, but you need $$$, connections, and a diverse product/animal inventory to meet the needs of any and all customer base. In my opinion, 50% of sales are based on impulse, so when someone walks into your store, they should get the best service, product, education, and future advice they may need to care for their pet. At the stores we worked at, the owner benefit fell into the 6 figure bracket, which shows, "you get out what you put in". Email me if you want specs on stores we worked at to give you a better idea of what it takes, financially, to get one started, or any other question you might have. Hope this helped.

Raj
-----
BALLERSPYTHONS@YAHOO.COM
Don't you wanna be a BALLER too?

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Hypothetical Pet Store.......... - eminart, Sun Jul 8 18:34:34 2007