return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

way too late. give up now.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: tex959 at Wed Sep 26 04:19:04 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tex959 ]  

Just kidding!!!!

Most of us would purchase morphs regardless of how much they drop over time because they enhance the quality of our lives. Animals just have a unique way of doing that for some reason. Having said that I really wish breeders had access to information that shows percentage drops for specific morphs over a given period of time so they might be able to predict within reason the price drop of other morphs in a given period of time. For example I knew when I purchased an albino ball python for $2,000 in 04' that the price would drop a certain percentage per year until I produced my own this year, Which I'm totally cool with. I also knew that since I'm not an established breeder that I might get 20%-40% less for my offspring than what some of the established breeders were asking which I'm also totally cool with. The point is I knew this information ahead of time so it never bothered me, but I'm one of those guys who was around when the only way to get prices for offspring was from a price sheet that were sent through the mail. I've followed the price of certain morphs such as Albino boas from $10,000 in 93' to where they are at now. That information combined with dozens of other recessive/dominant/co dominant morphs and their respective percentage price drops over the years was used to forecast other newer morphs. Now I know it's not that simple. There are many other factors that effect price drops other than just time. Keep in mind that boas can have a few dozen babies. It's also not a bad idea to consider combining two or more morphs to hold or stabilize offspring values over the long run. I've also noticed that most local specific boas don't follow the same rules for price fluctuations.

I'm a small time breeder with limited knowledge , but I really don't expect major breeders to chime in with specifics for obvious reasons. I'm also being very careful not to be too specific and get my post deleted. I hope this is some help to you.. if not just send me a pm and I'll try to help a bit more with the little that I do know.

Chris

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: way too late. give up now. - tex959, Wed Sep 26 06:27:06 2007

<< Previous Message:  Am I just too late or what? - Cyn, Wed Sep 26 01:56:01 2007