return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

FUNNY NO ONE MENTIONED EXACTLY HOW MANY

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: bcijoe at Tue Oct 30 10:55:11 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bcijoe ]  

Boas you are keeping... this has alot to do with it.

Another thing is if we're comparing big cages or racks.

I keep several hundred Boas at one time, and to deal with all the issues of the big Vision cages was a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.

Imagine the light (heat lamp kept over the steel grate indent on top) shorts or causes fire, which happened to me.

Now imagine having to slowly tear this pile apart to get to it.

Remove glass from top cage #5,lean it somewhere where it won't break, remove 20-30 pound snake, find somewhere to put it, remove water bowl, hot heat lamp, anything else in there, then lift cage off.
Continue with cage #4, then lower to #3, then #2, then finally down to the bottom cage.

This once took me close to an hour of scrambling, broken glass, being bitten by 9 foot monsters, spilling waterbowls, backpain from large size and awkward movement of these huge, unstable cages when that fire started.

Then pile them up again, one by one, and watch as the sides bow out. lol... make sure to leave 4-6 feet of space on either side of the cage for the sliding glass doors.. lol... yeah right.

My snakes never had a good shed in those cages.. NOT ONCE. Not to mention all the nose rubs, and litterally having to climb in the cage to really clean the damns right (indented lips). No thanks.

With Boaphiles, I own many, many 421D's, i've NEVER had these problems, never had a bad shed, never a light short, never a fire, nada, zip. EFFICIENCY, EFFICIENCY, EFFICIENCY!

When I wanted to move them across the room, I would leave them stacked, DO NOTHING, and simply push the ENTIRE STACK EFFORTLESSLY across the room. Done, 2 minutes.

When you have a few hundred animals, you simply cannot afford to have inefficiency (waste of time, effort, risk of fire, lack of heat/humidity control, longer cleaning times, structural degredation, etc., etc., etc.)

NO comparison, in my honest opinion and in my decade plus of experience with hundreds of snakes of different species in these cages.

If I thought there wasn't enough airflow, or the hunidity would be too high, I can drill holes, but never had to.

If the hinges or locks became loose, I tightened them. If they became tight, I lubricated them. If the built in fluorescent light shorted or failed, I replaced the bulb, or the strip, with NO risk to my animals, and minimal work.

Now to racks...

I also used mostly boaphile racks - shoe box racks (clear poly and regular), sweaterbox racks, sideways sweaterbox racks, blanketbox racks, RhinoRaxx. They have also handled like a dream.

Probably my only complaint with them is that if they are not supported perfectly from the bottom (on the edges where most of the weight lies), some drawers may be a pain to open.

I also recently purchased 3 of the 11 high Vision V70 racks with the tubs they make for them, similar to the CB70's.

I love the added size, lightweight but rigid construction, caster wheels and more. I haven't installed the heat cord so I can't comment on that.

I like the fact that each and every drawer is simple to open, and overall there is less material to clean.
I just cringe on the thought of something like a mite infestation with these, because they are so many angles, folds, bends, holes and such in the frame. I would think that to be a nightmare, but haven't had the 'pleasure' (YEAH RIGHT! LOL) of dealing with that yet... fortunately 8)

Well, hope that helped!

and just for the record, concerning Boaphile 421D's and such, I never saw the point in trying to save a few bucks by going with someone who just tried to copy them, years later, without the years of research and top grade materials and accessories.

It's not worth the risk, the time of trial and error, etc. Not for me and especially not for my snakes.

Take care, Be well - Joe Rollo - Bci Joe
-----
Thanks and take care - Joe Rollo
'Tis not the stongest of the species that will eventually survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change' Charles Darwin

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Oy yeah, a few pics... - bcijoe, Tue Oct 30 11:04:12 2007

<< Previous Message:  visions vs boaphile - bergmantis, Mon Oct 29 13:16:06 2007