return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Panic - big female has an RI

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Conners at Sat Nov 10 05:03:47 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Conners ]  

A horrible start to the day as I discover my big female has an RI.

I was slightly concerned about her breathing over the past week as it has become clearly audible.

On Monday, with her having shown little interest in the male who's been courting her, I separated them and gave her a large feed. On Thursday I put the male back in, more from expediancy than anything else as he's too big for his holder viv and his own 48" viv doesn't arrive until Monday.

This morning I cleaned them and the female gaped, showing mucus in her mouth. I have immediately removed the male. Other than that the temperatures are optimal, so don't need adjusting. They were set high anyway because she was digesting a big meal - 90 at the hot end and 82 in the cool.

I've kept the temperatures at about this level the whole time the male has been courting. Since he didn't seem to need any encouragement, I saw no value in lowering the temps and risking an RI.

But it's happened anyway. I wonder if the male being in has stressed the female and made her vulnerable to the infection?

The male was quarantined with a reptile breeder I know for a fortnight before I introduced the two of them, and he has no signs of any such illness. They've been together off and on for about 6 weeks.

Anyway, she has an appointment at the best reptile vet in England at 09:30 on Monday.

Hope to God she gets through this.

There's a lesson in here that sometimes factors other than temperature can trigger an RI. I really think it's the stress of the male being with her that's done it.

Bugger my breeding plans for this year, I just want her to get well now.

[ Show Entire Thread ]