return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Panic - big female has an RI

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Conners at Sun Nov 11 12:53:20 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Conners ]  

A really good idea re the aquarium heater. I've tried using big water tubs in the past, but she upends them every time. Will hunt around for something heavy and flat bottomed that she can't tip, which is a bit of a challenge for a snake of just under 50lbs. I spray every so often, but I tend to assume to be honest that if there's always water available and the snake sheds easily, the humidity is probably ok.

I agree about artificial light - I haven't used it in ten years. The ceramic provides only heat.

I checked the male out today. Although he showed no signs of wheezing, when I forced his bottom jaw open I could see a bit of mucus in the mouth. I began wondering if this could ever be "normal" or if it's always indicative of an RI? If the latter than they both have the condition, and one presumably infected the other. So it looks like a big boa family outing to the vets tomorrow.

Am a bit more optimistic about things with the female this evening - she has popped her head out for the first time since yesterday morning and shows no signs of discomfort. In fact if I hadn't neeeded to clean her on Saturday I wouldn't know about her condition, which is pretty scary. When I opened the door to listen to her breathing, I heard one wheeze and nothing else audible for the following two minutes. This is probably just because she's a lot more relaxed than when I was moving her yesterday morning, so is taking fewer breaths, but at least things don't seem to be getting worse at the moment.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Panic - big female has an RI - jscrick, Sun Nov 11 10:27:53 2007