return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A clown takes the stage... Jeff-A-Roonie

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Wed Dec 5 18:18:55 2007   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

Conflicting info? Not much conflicting info really from Boa breeders. I don't think there is much disparity regarding the things you asked about. There are writers who write and only research what was previously written. Then there are writers who have actual experience with what they write about. Most of those people like the Barkers, Tremper, and the other great contributors to Herpetoculture, are knowledgeable, articulate and know the basics of grammar and spelling, unlike me. I, on the other hand, have no idea what a participle is let alone what I'd do with one if I found one dangling someplace, assuming I could actually identify it. So I ramble on about what I think even if I don't know that I am wrong. It doesn't seem to stop me from penning my mind. So here goes nothing... or is it something? You decide.

The really frustrating thing is that Boas can't read. In addition to being illiterate, they are deaf and even if they could hear, I doubt they would listen. So they don't all do what we want them to do exactly. Evidence an ovulation I had yesterday from a female that was in the middle of the blue. That is outside the normal scheme of things but do you think she could be considerate of what I have written previously? Not a chance. So I will have to swallow my ample pride and be content when those puppies pop out. I can live with that.

So my (1) possible numbers, then (2) optimal numbers followed by (3) average numbers will follow each of the questions you propose in that order:

Male introduced when ?

1. Males can be introduced any time of year really.
2. September - December
3. October 1st for me if I can get the cage orders to slow down enough to catch my breath.

Courting for how long before pre-ovulation swell?

The Pre-ovulation swell is not always readily identifiable. Assuming it is observed then:

1. 1 - 4 Months
2. Within the first couple weeks
3. Usually 4 - 6 weeks

Time from pre-ovulation swell until ovulation?

1. 1 day to 2 months
2. 1 week
3. 2 weeks

Time from ovulation to post ovulation shed (POS)?

1. 14 - 24 days
2. 18 days
3. 16 - 20 days

Time from POS to delivering babies?

Colombian, Peruvian, Bolivian, Brazilian, Argentine Boas as follows. Pure Central American and Hoggs about a week less.

1. Anything is possible. I have had 92 days, 124 days or no P.O.S. at all
2. 105 days
3. 103 - 110 days

Did I miss any milestones?

The length of time from introduction of the male till the female ovulates?

1. Shortest I have seen is one week
2. Optimal I suppose is one week. I could breed my best males to far more than only one female that way.
3. Average is around 2 months for my boys.

Other "milestones" that really should be addressed:

1. Caging and the design of the heating system is, I believe, the single most important thing in successfully breeding Boas. Shortcuts = reduced success or none of it.
2. Yea, Cooling. Perhaps it is too close to "Colling" huh? LOL I don't do seasonal cooling. I turn off the heat at night but nothing seasonal.
3. The best food: This of course is the food served at Las Margaritas in Hasting Minnesota. I call the food their "Manna".
4. Hair? No hair is not required for Boa Breeding. Perhaps desirable especially by those who lack it, but not required.
5. I could go on but why bother? I have said too much already.

Thank for the opportunity to wax goofy Dave! I can't resist as you know...
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  HUGE Thanks Jeff....... - rainbowsrus, Wed Dec 5 18:51:27 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: A clown takes the stage... Jeff-A-Roonie - strictly4fun, Wed Dec 5 19:07:17 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: A clown takes the stage... Jeff-A-Roonie - fgs, Wed Dec 5 19:49:21 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: A clown takes the stage... Jeff-A-Roonie - jscrick, Wed Dec 5 20:53:27 2007
>> Next Message:  Thanks to a clown; and Q's - Odin22, Wed Dec 5 20:56:26 2007

<< Previous Message:  breeding question(s) I know - more? - rainbowsrus, Wed Dec 5 12:35:49 2007