return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

25 CLUTCHES IN CALI!!! EXPLANATION ...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: kinderman at Tue May 6 17:46:59 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinderman ]  

This is my first breeding season. It's going well I think. I pinch myself every morning. I started breeding here in So Cal in late October. I'll be breeding until next fall. That's right!! Year round breeding. My goal this year was 40 clutches. I have been flying by the seat of my pants. You read, surf the net, talk with a lot of breeders with more experience than you -- which was EVERYBODY!!! Observing behaviors for the first time is difficult because you don't know for sure what you should be looking for. lol

Background:

I have a lot of early clutches compared to others it would seem, and another 18 girls as of today which have ovulated. Also, by the end of this week I will have 4 hatched clutches. I am breeding all sizes/ages of females both proven and virgin from 1200 grams to 3600. I am breeding quite a few less than 2 year old females(a couple 18 months) who are between 1350 and 2000 grams. Some of my girls have been bred 10 or more times over the last 6 MONTHS and have not ovulated. I just got a 6 egg clutch last night from a 1400 gram girl who had been bred TWICE over a 2 week period. A person could go nuts trying to explain that -- so I don't!!!. Just keep pairing them.

I TRULY FEEL for those in any part of the country that have been doing all the right things and are not having the success they think should expect.

I do a couple of things differently(NOT "BETTER"than others may which might account for my having so many clutches on the ground. I think it HAS to be my environment in my breeding room. It's certainly not my experience or that I have "magical breeding ball pythons". If any of the following helps anyone I'm glad.

Almost all my females are in 41/CB70 tubs. Less than 10 small girls are in 32qrt. My rack temps are 90 on the hot spot 24/7. My ambient temps are 82-86 day and 79-82 night. I don't cycle lights. I don't really do any cooling. I have run out of rack space for my breeders, so I have to wait until a girl lays and I move a new girl, who I have been keeping on food/growing from a warmer room into the 'new spot" and put her into a rotation with a male or 2.

If I had to point to the one thing that makes my environment work it would be HUMIDITY!!! My day ROOM (not tub) humidity runs at 62-65%. Nights are 68-75%. This high humidity, along with even a moderate temp drop is what MAY send them into lock-up mode. The constant belly heat and feeding the females as much as they will eat, I think helps them develop follicles and OVULATE. We have not had any rain to speak of here in over 8 weeks or more. My breeding has not slowed down at all. I don't wait around for weather. We don't have much here -- so I make my own. Am I tricking them by taking advantage of their drive to reproduce???

I use a Honeywell humidifier I picked up at Home Depot for $100. 11 qt. I think? It has a 3 speed fan and humidity control. I am sure others will work, but make sure you go BIG or it won't get the humidity high enough.

I offer food (small rats) to females 1-2 times per week and males every week.
I have no idea how to palpate and I don't have an ultrasound. I guess I am doing it old-school! I am starting to develop an ability to tell when they are about to ovulate. My girls are going 14-18 days from ovulation to pre-lay shed (soaking the whole time!) and most are laying right at 25 days post shed. If they are late it is 1-3 days -- so far.

I still feel like I don't know anything,(BUT I HAVE EGGS!!!) and it won't be until I am able to apply what I am learning from this season to next that I will be confident. Maybe every breeder feels that way to some extent -- not a bad thing!!! Keeps you open to new ideas.

Hope this helps.

-----
Bill Buchman

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  rat bite - teddy311, Tue May 6 15:44:39 2008
<< Previous topic:  Piebalds - foncegera, Tue May 6 10:52:34 2008