return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Another good day for outdoor pics!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: anthony james mc at Fri May 9 17:11:49 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by anthony james mc ]  

I actually called and marketed the other Super Stripe ingredient gene the Whirlwind, I was the first to actually sell one , I think until my Super Stripe came along it wasn't 100% for sure what that other gene looked like. I have looked at Jareds original female (first female to make the Super Stripes) and will say that she produced babies that resembled my ingredient snakes, both my babies and my "special" female, BUT alot of his babies didn't look that much like the original mom, they were alot brighter than she was.. Obviously she has the gene but her overall darker coloration made it hard for him to tell what the gene was generally supposed to look like , as with alot of morphs these are variable .. I understand why Jared didn't sell any right away, if the babies didn't look just like mom it would be hard to convince people they were gene carriers like mom , until he bred them out to be sure one couldn't say for sure.. I was lucky with my original female as she produced "hypo" like babies that resembled mom in very obvious ways, the head markings, belly markings, coloration , pattern to some degree, etc made it easy for me to set mom and a couple of the babies side by side and seperate them out from just normals.. This naming thing has caused some heated arguements in the past so I am fine with using the word Specter for the other ingredient morph if that is what some people want to do. I will however say that I think it is also right for me to call my line Whirlwinds as at the time I made my first Super Stripe male NOBODY had an established name for them as NOBODY knew what they looked like for sure until my clutch came along. I'm sure there were Theories about what they "should"/could look like , but once mine were born to compare to the existing ones from the previous Super Stripe clutches then it was obvious what Jared or any of the rest of us that produced the Super Stripes needed to look for to pick out this new morph ..

My question to everyone here today is this: If sombody proves out what makes the Crystal Ball , lets say just for easy argument that the gene to make a Crystal is some sort of "visual" co-dom/dominant hypo (that is variable as well, meaning some are easy to pick out and some are not) and that somebody out there hatches out obvious ingredient babies and isolates the morph, should the person that figures out what the ingredient morph actually looks like get to name them or should Tom Baker be the one to name them as he obviously would have been the first to have them, maybe not the first to know what they looked like or identify them well enough to pick them out, and hadn't yet named them anything because he wasn't sure it was possible to positively pick them out from normals but regardless he still would be the first person to have them in his collection! Seems to me in this example situation the ingredient morph if identifiable would go into other morphs other than the Crystal project so who should be the one to name the now "obvious" morph folks? Should the naming be up to the first guy to have them or the first guy that figures out how to actually pick out this new, previously unknown, obviously preexisting morph?????? This situation explains very close the reason why the ingredient gene name for the Super Stripe has some confusion. I feel I have the right to name an unnamed co-dom if I can see it , especially if it didn't have any name for the now obvious morph at that time. To rename the S.S. ingredient gene a Specter several months later when I was already using the Whirwlind name doesn't make any sence to me. For several months the Whirlwind name stood , then the name was changed because the first guy to make the Super Stripes decided he liked another name better (a name that at that time was actually already taken by another florida guy for a phantom type project he was working on).. I just don't see why the name needed changed or how he thought it would help the Super Stripe project by confusing people by changing the name? This gene will combine into alot of other stuff, so is Jared supposed to be the one to rename all those crosses too, months down the road after the cross is named, if he doesn't like the name they use for something different they make with this gene? Just something to think about, Anthony McCain.. Original home of the WHIRLWINDS!!!!

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Another good day for outdoor pics! - anthony james mc, Fri May 9 17:30:03 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Another good day for outdoor pics! - xXVanXx, Fri May 9 05:44:30 2008