return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

soft heart....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: OKReptileRescue at Wed May 7 21:58:20 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OKReptileRescue ]  

yea-- i started that way too--- I had live only feeders but with red tails-- theres no way to keep them on mice...

I eventually started having to do stunned rats--- I really dont like it but i'm a big "humaine animal treatment" person... so it is hard for me still-- it took me about 2 months of just having to get over the soft heart I have-- and to ignore the squeeks and twitches-- BUT -- after 5-6 feedings of stunned rats-- i offered a F/T from tongs-- and WHAMMO- took it and has eaten F/T ever since...

tips.... If you're willing to try stunned again-- turn your radio up loud... i thump rats either in my bathtub or on my front porch (depending on time of day and traffic...yha know...)--- I just whack and drop in the cage-- its usually wrapped up in a matter of seconds and dead shortly there after.

as for size--- I've gone 100% to rats now, for me they're cheaper-- I have a guy that sells them to me for 1$ each--- far cheaper than anywhere else-- i've seen his set up, and have had great luck with his stuff-- and all he does is rats-- occasionally i'll get a mouse for something new that is stubborn-- and it costs me 3$ for a tiny mouse, when i'm getting xxl rats for 1$... and they're more nutritious (or juicy as previously labeled...)-- and i've noticed a change in thier waste... it doesnt seem to smell as bad...
anyway-- i'd go with rats- and they should be as big or slightly bigger than your snakes middle. you would be suprized what snakes can eat--

and you know how people here are-- we'd love to see pics!

Beth
-----
The rescue site: www.freewebs.com/okreptilerescue

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: soft heart.... - HOTRegius, Thu May 8 10:10:01 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Tami - TamiLynne, Wed May 7 19:03:02 2008