return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: anery gbk's

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ]

Posted by: dustyrhoads at Thu May 29 12:52:19 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dustyrhoads ]  

Thanks Cole,

Boy, it's been awhile since I've glanced at Dr. Bechtel's book or anything substantial on the synthesis of herp chromatophores, so like I feared, I was liable to make a hash out of my statement earlier. LOL

But I'm in the library now and have Bern's book in my hands.

One point that I tried to make was that, on a cellular level, Bechtel does not make any distinction between erythrophores and xanthophores (pigment-containing cells). He states that erythrophores are xanthophores with predominantly red pteridines, and that we call them erythrophores based on appearance or phenotype only. In other words, they're still xanthophores. (You've already said some of this stuff...I'm just thinking "out loud" here.)

The reds and yellows (and intermediates) are a combination of pteridines (pigments synthesized by the xanthophores) and carotenoids (not synthesized by the xanthophores, but are dietary in origin).

My point is that, on a cellular level, Bechtel does not recognize anerythrism. He even calls what we usually refer to as anerythristic Hondos and anerythristic Corns as axanthics.

Using the Corns as an example, an Anery type A is one that is born black and grey with no yellow or red, but as they mature and ontogenetically change with the xanthophores incapable of producing pteridine reds and yellows, they still accumulate dietary carotenoids of yellow color in the neck, chin, and other close-by areas.

Anery type B (charcoal) is a bit confusing using this example, because, when they are born, they are also a variant of black and grey, but they appear to accumulate much less dietary yellow than type A aneries. Or, could they be a manifestation of a higher degree of axanthicism (similar to the way a T-negative albino demonstrates a greater degree of amelanism than T-positive albinos -- this is an oversimplification here) than type A aneries?

Maybe Caramel Corns should be classified as a "hypoxanthic", reducing or eliminating red pteridine-containing xanthophores while leaving the yellow pteridine-containing xanthophores, which enhance in yellow even more as they mature and accumulate carotenoids.

Of course, "hyperxanthic" would appeal to most hobbyists here, since we tend to mostly think in terms of phenotype. And maybe an overproduction of yellow pteridines is what is happening anyway. Then, where does that leave Bloodreds?

Whew!! I agree that we should have an expert post in here (like Dr. Bechtel), instead of someone who is trying to interpret his work.

DR

p.s. More later! This is very interesting stuff.

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Dusty... - Sunherp, Thu May 29 13:15:31 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: anery gbk's - Sunherp, Thu May 29 09:51:30 2008