return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Texas snake conservation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ]

Posted by: dustyrhoads at Tue Jun 17 13:43:10 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dustyrhoads ]  

So, just a random thought, but if TPWD and legislators are concerned about the unfettered removal of our natural resources from the environment, such as snakes, then why don't they go after the biggest terminator of snakes and other wildlife? In a word, drivers.

Have you ever been on a trip and saw more DORs than live animals by the time you returned home? To answer that question, for my own part, that's usually the rule rather than the exception.

How many of you have seen automobiles purposefully swerve to take out a crossing snake or even a turtle? And how many times have you seen it occur? I know I have several times. Some people think that nailing turtles and watching them fly and spin in the air in their rearview is actually funny. I can't tell you how many people have told me, when the topic of snakes comes up, that they purposefully try to hit as many snakes as they can while driving.

How is this even legal? Or is it?

Shouldn't there also be a "Don't Mess with Texas Wildlife" sign dotting all of the major highways throughout the state?

Wouldn't something like this at least discourage much of the devastation that happens to wildlife?

Though some wild animals may jump out in front of you as you drive, most wildlife I see is slowly crossing, easily-spotted from hundreds of feet away.

I don't think there is any excuse for most people who run over wildlife. I mean, how can you miss a big atrox or a pink coachwhip (and yet, I've probably seen more dead 5 foot pink coachwhips than I have live ones)? Even small snakes are easy to see in time to avoid them.

I can't imagine us ever saying, "Well, your honor, that person was just crossing the road, taking his time, and I didn't want to slow down. If he wanted to live, why didn't he move a little faster?" Well, maybe I did see that on Judge Judy, one time, now that I think of it. If it's called manslaughter, shouldn't there be a faunal counterpart of that term that is also punishable by law?

Oh, and if there ever is a "Don't Mess with Texas Wildlife" roadsign, there needs to be an image of a snake on it somewhere. I think a lot of average citizens somehow believe that a snake doesn't count as Texas "wildlife".

I know that I need to send a letter like this to TPWD and/or legislators, but thought I'd open some dialogue here.

Dusty Rhoads

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Xmas with eggs.. - Ric Blair, Tue Jun 17 17:27:20 2008
<< Previous topic:  questions about gray-banded - bob978, Tue Jun 17 12:44:45 2008