return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Milk Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Nov 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Nov 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: junior's spay -- update/followup

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ]

Posted by: EJ at Thu Jun 26 18:11:55 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EJ ]  

I don't see anywhere in the post where you explain to the readers that the vet services at UGA are the result of a teaching college. I'm pretty sure that it must have been explained to you.

You can be angry but don't be surprised. Dr. Divers is one of the leading vets in the world... the students... they are just that... students.

I can say I know how you feel and I didn't hold the vet at fault.

If you can establish a pattern and there was gross negligence... the anger might be justified but mistakes do happen. That is part of the learning process.

There are vets who would do the procedure with less risk but you would have to pay for it. Scott Stahl in VA would have allowed you to ship the animal...

>>one of the vets called me last night to "confess" that they had overdosed one of junior's medications (meloxicam, an anti-inflammatory drug). it was a "decimal error" and she wound up getting ten times what she should have. overdoses of this drug can cause irreversible kidney damage, so they are now going to keep her through the middle of next week to treat her for that... she has a tube for fluids now, and they are pushing fluids in an attempt to flush the drug out before it can do any damage. they will also do blood tests to check her kidney function.
>>
>>i really can't begin to describe how angry i am over this... without even going into the financial aspects of all of this, i've taken her to the people who are supposed to be the experts, and junior makes it through what for a reptile is a very major surgery with significant risks, only to be overdosed because somebody didn't double-check their math, or was too busy flirting with a coworker, or thinking about their friend's baby shower, or mentally making their grocery list, or something. accidents happen, but when a life is at stake, is it too much to expect people to focus?
>>
>>being angry really doesn't help junior, though.
>>time will tell.
-----
Ed @ Tortoise Keepers
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

[ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Wheezing problem! - DoctorCosmonaut, Thu Jun 19 16:59:26 2008
<< Previous topic:  Interbreed / intergrade among same genus - emutiong, Tue Jun 17 20:36:49 2008