return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Kahl and Sharp babbies

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: Slithering_Serpents at Fri Aug 22 19:45:47 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slithering_Serpents ]  

>>I have been told that it is not possible to successfully breed Kahl and Sharp boas together. But, I have a Khal Albino and a Sharp salmon that produced some beautiful and healthy babies. Has it been done before and just not talked about, or did I get the wrong info about their incompatibility?

The genes are just not compatible genetically, but all boa constrictors are compatible physically! Ha ha ha I see what you thought. lol They can copulate, he can fertilize, and she can ovulate gestate and deliver baby boas, they just can't make albinos with each other. They can make double hets with each other. If you throw the salmon gene in you can call half of them triple hets (het salmon het Sharp het Kahl ).

What you did was just make normal looking babies and salmon looking babies, right? That's all that's possible from your pairing! What you made are triple hets for Kahl sunglow and Sharp sunglow in the same individuals, and double hets for Sharp and Kahl albinos (provided by "Sharp salmon" you mean Sharp sunglow). What you absolutely must now do, is disclose this to everyone who buys a baby.
-----
Caden Chapman
slithering.serpents@gmail.com
http://slitheringserpents.com

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Kahl and Sharp babbies - jscrick, Fri Aug 22 20:05:31 2008

<< Previous Message:  Kahl and Sharp babbies - calder, Fri Aug 22 02:26:13 2008