return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: Is it my imagination or

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: BoaRepublic at Thu Sep 25 12:51:27 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BoaRepublic ]  

I partially agree with what you're saying here.
People are realizing that yes, if you spend 5K on an animal today, the babies won't be worth that amount in 2-3 years.

The way I look at it, who cares! The market used to be like that, but how crazy was that? It was only a matter of time before the market adjusted itself. It was unreal that you could but a Motley boa for $5-7K, then in 2-3 year produce 10 Motleys and sell them for at least 5K each!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I LOVE my snakes and always have. I will still spend over 5K on an animal today....and actually, I did this year...3 times!
It still makes total sense for me to spend that kind of money on a snake that I'm excited about and be totally happy if the market adjusts it self again in 2-3 years where the offspring from that 5K snake might only be 1K. The challenge is....raise them right, and produce a healthy litter of babies.
To me that's just the tip of the iceberg if you consider the hot comobs I can make with my new snake(s)!

Again, I can only speak for myself, but the financial part of this business/hobby act only as supplemental income for me as I work full time and so does my wife. That's not to say it's not important to me as money to pay for racks, rodents, supplies, and facility costs must come from somewhere...
It would be too much for me if my snakes depended on my day job to maintain them.

Also, I wanted to mention...the reptile shop near my house seems consistently packed with people each time I go there to pick up specific rodents I need. That alone motivates me and helps off set some of the things I hear people say about how the market is not so good.

Anyways, I feel like I'm rambling now.

Thanks!!
Alex

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Is it my imagination or - dradsliff, Thu Sep 25 15:00:12 2008
>> Next Message:  Good post Alex! n/p - BASICALLYBOAS, Thu Sep 25 16:01:50 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Is it my imagination or - BrownsBoas, Wed Sep 24 18:46:55 2008