return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Rosy Boa . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Oct 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Oct 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

RE: help mites!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ]

Posted by: John Q at Sun Oct 19 09:02:30 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by John Q ]  

Sooner or later mites make their way into everyone's collection. Always makes me laugh when someone says "not mine".
Because someone gave me the gift that keeps on giving 2X I came up with the following procedure.
1. soak the snakes in a sterilite/rubbermaid tub with warm water, just water for the first 30 minutes and only deep enough so their backs are out of the water. They will probably drink some of this.
2. Empty out their tank, box, cage, etc. at this time
3. Spray down the cage, water bowl, hides, etc. with a mix of water and NIX or the store brand of NIX. NIX is lice shampoo and I would mix it at about 1/2 ounce to a 32 ounce bottle of water. Spray up into the edges and corners. Let it sit.
4. go back to the snakes, add some more warm water with just a little dish soap. Enough to have some bubbles most of the top surface of the water. Let them soak for about 30 minutes.
5. rinse the cage, box, etc. real good and make sure to get into the corners, top edges, etc.
6. dry the cage and put in paper towels, no substrate, and no water bowl.
7. remove the snakes from the soapy water, spray a paper towel with the NIX solution you mixed for spraying down the cage. Let them slide through this paper towel while holding with a firm grip.
8. Sprinkle a small amount of sevin dust in the tank to lightly cover the paper towels.
9. place the snakes back in their cage, box, etc.
Once a day check the paper towels. Also, once a day or every other day,spray a paper towel with the NIX solution and let them slide through it while holding with a firm grip. Even if they are all gone, repeat the above procedure in 1 week.
I believe the problem is that you were not getting the mites or their eggs that were under the scales of your snakes. The soapy water solution will get those and drown them, destroy the eggs, etc. Repeating the process in a week is important as is spraying the paper towel with the solution, letting them slide through the towel. This is a way to confirm if anything new is hatching out. Rinse them off with plain water and let them drink for a few minutes every 3 days or so during this process. You do not want them taking the sevin into their water bowl. Once the NIX solution dries it becomes inactive within a few minutes.
If you still have a problem, let me know.
John Q

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Poison free solution - FloridaHogs, Mon Oct 20 16:35:36 2008

<< Previous Message:  help mites!! - kammekammo, Sun Oct 19 07:56:48 2008