return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Python . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My first time feeding FT/Long Read

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ]

Posted by: insomthegreat at Fri Nov 7 22:23:01 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by insomthegreat ]  

I fed FT for the first time tonight and it was a very exciting experience. How can feeding frozen thawed rats to ball pythons be exciting? Well when I started I believed that the snakes would be attracted to the heat of the rats after they were thawed and then placed in hot water from the tap but apparently movement plays a larger role in the feeding response of a BP that’s use to eating live and this is where the excitement comes in. The first couple of snakes took the rats with no problem but only half of them swallowed them the ones that didn’t swallow just constricted then released and continued to wait for more food. The other half o my collection decided that my hand made a better meal than a lifeless rat. They came out of the tubs and struck at me like the cobras you see on animal planet. Not once or twice but repeatedly and non stop. I had to beat them back with news paper back into the tub. I know a BP can’t kill me but I have a couple of 4,000g beast that scared me enough to scream like a girl loud enough that my girlfriend asked if I was ok. I couldn’t answer her rite away because I was pinned back against the door of my snake closet by a 5300g female snapping in my face while I struck it with news paper repeatedly. I literally had to grab her by the throat and wrestle her back into the tub as she tried to wrap around the side and bite my hand. It was at that very moment that I thought to myself what many of us keepers think at different times in our lives as reptile keepers when the animals we love exhibit "natural" reptile behavior, "what the hell am I doing?” By the time I had calmed down and was able to respond to my girlfriends offer for help she had already established a line of communication with 911. I got to her right as she was explaining that I was being eating by a "ball python". I then took the phone from her and explained to the operator that I was feeding my pet snake and had decided to play a joke on her so it was no need for an officer to come. I apologized for the call and then hung up. Awesome!!! I cant wait to do it the second time but I think I will buy myself some very long, I mean really long like, 3 foot long tongs.
The end

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  ****Update**** - insomthegreat, Fri Nov 7 22:40:06 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: My first time feeding FT/Long Read - DeguMeat, Sun Nov 9 22:49:08 2008