return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Skink . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

"Rapid Shed Syndrome"

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Boa Forum ]

Posted by: boaphile at Sun Nov 16 14:08:21 2008   [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boaphile ]  

I have seen what I call "Rapid shed syndrome" in a Boa two times. I have no idea what caused it, but in each case when I did see it, the animal continued it for about two years. Even when not being fed. They eventually got run down and would refuse to eat, ultimately resulting in the death of the animal. No telling if your animal has it or not. The two that I have had that did it, did everything else like normal except that rapid shedding for more than a year shedding about every 18-22 days. One was a male that died from it about 17 years ago. He was a great breeder. The other was a completely unrelated female that died after two years of rapid shedding in around 2000.

I have zero diagnostic advise as to how to treat it or to tell if your animal has it or not. I have talked to other Boa guys who have had animals do the same thing.

People don't want to discuss when they have animals that get sick, because they think it will reflect negatively on them. But, I have news for anyone who does think that reflects negatively on anyone. Boas are animals. Animals get sick. Animals die. That's real life. I am not talking about wholesale die off of a collection. I've actually never even heard of a specific instance of that.

Any of you other people who read this, and are willing to admit it, can certainly do so especially if you have any other observations regarding this that might be good for others to know.
-----
Boaphile Home
All Original/Boaphile Plastics
The Boa Network

[ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: "Rapid Shed Syndrome" - jscrick, Sun Nov 16 18:58:38 2008

<< Previous Message:  Boa sheds every 2-3 weeks - boadina, Fri Nov 14 05:25:28 2008